Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Logical proof for the existence of God

[ QUOTE ]
the atheists premise is that GOD DOES NOT EXIST IN THE EXTERNAL WORLD, but only as an concieved entity in people's minds.

[/ QUOTE ]
One of the things that always gets me mad about common and dictionary definitions of atheism is they aren't correct. An athiest is a person without a belief in god, God, gods, or divinity. It's purely semantic, but has some important implications.

There are of course hard atheists that state GOD DOES NOT EXIST. However proofing something doesn't exist is impossible and a waste of time. Unless it's something like a square cirlce.

The discripancy between what is atheism is and what it thought to be causes the arguement that without God there can be no Good and Evil. However Good and Evil are ideas, they are certainly elusive and never perfect. But truth can be gleamed form unknowable ideals, in this case a absolute morality. In addition to being great plot lines for stories and movies, absolute Good and Evil can be used to determine implication for correct actions.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:36 PM

The whole point for the original post is to show how arbitrary and gimmicky this whole argument truly is. This is actually called the "Ontological Argument For the Existence of God" written by St. Anselm, archbishop of canterbury, in the twelth century. I needed to write a paper concerning the flaws of this type of argument hence why i played devil's advocate. obviously the argument is faulty because it is so ambiguous in its wording. most anything could be proved using this kind of gimmick. thanks for the help and responses.

SB
Old 08-30-2005, 08:02 PM

Lollers, here you go.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
while i am a christian myself i beleive this is a way to turn people from God instead of for Him
this makes us sound desperate
if you are doing this to evangilize i think you really screwed up

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. At the same time I am not religious...and while not completely atheist I prefer agnostic. each person belives what they want...but for me, setting aside whether God truly exists or not, mass religion scares me.

I think some people hide behind religion and use it to satisfy their pressing need to judge others. I havent read the bible in quite some time, yes I have read it, but isnt the idea that Jesus set up is to be supporting, offer shelter, advice, be non-judemental..etc. Example...there is a religious group rallying out side of an abortion clinic, being loud, judging ppl that go in and are coming out...telling them they will burn in hell, maybe even throwing rocks at them. Would Jesus be outside w/ them or inside consoling the person that just had to go through something horrible.

I stay away from religion for these reasons, its misunderstood by most ppl. Most ppl use it as a flag to wave when they disagree w/ something. Anyway, came across this site of quotes from ppl, that is intresting, while a little freaky.

link

I think this is my favorite quote:

"I don't know that atheists should be considered citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
---George Bush Sr. (now ex-President of the United States)
Old 09-04-2005, 12:12 AM

# ARGUMENT FROM BEER (I)
(1) "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Ben Franklin
(2) Beer exists.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

# ARGUMENT FROM BEER (II)
(1) Christian: Whatever you believe in is your god.
(2) Atheist: I believe I'll have another beer.
(3) Ha ha.
(4) Therefore, God exists.

From 300 proofs of gods existence