Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: ethics of giving 2 weeks notice?

that's what I thought. i just wanted to know if anyone was suggesting that.

thanks

Marlow
Old 08-10-2005, 10:50 AM

I have worked as a consultant/investment banker for past 10 years or so. I quit two jobs over the years where I thought I was being treated badly. However, on the advice of some good friends I avoided burning bridges (as badly as I wanted to) and have received referrals to new clients from these former employers and wound up teaming up with a former boss to form our own firm.

I definitely would not give notice until the other job offer is firm. A friend is going through a similar process, new employer was very into him, made him an offer, but then rescinded it temporarily, while they "adjust their headcount".

If you get the offer, tell the new employer you would like to start in 3 weeks and see if that flies. If not, tell current employer that you will be able to answer questions after you leave via email/phone for a few days to help with transition (even if they don't pay you). It will leave them witha more favorable impression of you and you never know when you might run across them again.

Good luck,
AA
Old 08-10-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you get the offer, tell the new employer you would like to start in 3 weeks and see if that flies. If not, tell current employer that you will be able to answer questions after you leave via email/phone for a few days to help with transition (even if they don't pay you). It will leave them witha more favorable impression of you and you never know when you might run across them again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, AA. Moreover I would make sure in the negotiations for the new gig you get a clear understanding of when they need to have the position filled. If they say anything less than two weeks you should make it clear to them that you are managing X number of projects and that it may take slightly longer to transition them to your replacement. This helps you because it makes you look like a team player to the potential employer and that you aren't willing to screw your former employer over.

Should they come back and say "we need you to start next week or you can't have the job", think very carefully about taking it. Do you want to work for a company that wants you to screw over your former employer?

Be very careful about agreeing to moonlight consulting (free or paid) with the old company. Most everywhere you go now you are an employee at will - you can be fired at any time without cause. If you aren't up front about consulting for the former employer, the new employer might get wind of it and boot your ass out the door. If the new company needs you in two weeks and the old company needs you to help out via Email and phone - make sure both companies are aware of it so You don't get screwed.

My 2 cents,
Nick