Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: $11 - lay down TPTK?

I like limping preflop. It's going to be checked around a lot of the time, but while you have nice pot odds, you don't have implied odds after the raise, and it's very hard to play AQ in a huge pot.

While you could have the all-in player beat, there are a bunch of people left to worry about who seem interested in their hand. While calling is ok, I prefer folding.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree this hand is ugly given the action. But one of the glories of an $11 is that variance will not force you to release your car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play your best regardless of the buy-in. Never take the approach, "Whatever, it's only $11." All your decisions should be based on what you perceive to be the best play.

[ QUOTE ]
My guess at an $11 is that the times you're ahead outnumber the times you're behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you understand how flawed this reasoning is? You have to take into account how likely you are to be outdrawn the times that you are ahead as well. There is a good chance that you are slightly ahead and a good chance that you are significantly behind.

[ QUOTE ]
Likewise 45suited, I think folding this preflop is incredibly weak/tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak / tight play is nothing to be ashamed of during level 1 play! In fact, IMO, it's close to optimal, especially for less than the top players (which includes all of us at the 22s and below). There is no reason to get involved with AQo UTG+1 after UTG limps. I would fold AQo UTG+1 even if UTG folded.

IMO, if you can't get away from TPTK on a board like this, that is precisely why you should fold AQo from UTG or UTG+1 on level 1.

A couple more points: I don't believe that calling here is +EV. Not even close. Plus (and this is important) why put your entire tournament at risk here? You guys keep saying that your opponents are terrible at the 11s. They are. Stay alive so that you can take advantage of their terrible play. They literally make horrendous mistakes IF YOU LET THEM. You are not way ahead here. You have TPTK on this board against multiple opponents who like their hands. Big deal. STAY ALIVE and let your opponents play badly later.

I've made enough posts on this forum to show that I am far from a great player. (Just ask Adanthar about my utter lack of understanding regarding why you don't just want one caller with AK OOP.) But I understand my limitations and basic tournament and bubble strategy. Since I understand my limitations (like most SNGers who won't admit it, my post flop play often leaves something to be desired) I play level one hands that play themselves. Not AQo UTG or UTG+1.

Durron made a post today where he said that he folds AQo UTG. I'm assuming he said this because playing AQo UTG only invites trouble. No criticism from anyone (as there should not be). On this hand, I say fold AQo UTG+1 after there was one limper and get a couple of "weak/tight" replies. Think about it.

To all players struggling on the 22s or below:

Do not be afraid to be weak/tight on level 1.

Learn tournament strategy. Learn correct bubble play. Pay attention to stack sizes.

Don't do anything fancy. Don't try to make great reads. Play ABC poker.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus (and this is important) why put your entire tournament at risk here? You guys keep saying that your opponents are terrible at the 11s. They are. Stay alive so that you can take advantage of their terrible play. They literally make horrendous mistakes IF YOU LET THEM. You are not way ahead here....STAY ALIVE and let your opponents play badly later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the key to the whole thing here. I don't mind making small mistakes in return for not risking the entire tournament in a marginal situation - there's simply no point, because before long the situation will be anything but marginal and you can watch as your opponents make massive mistakes instead.

I'll worry about fixing the small mistakes later.