Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Re: A matter of angles, is this over the line?

Obvious goal. Oh, and change the new offside rule back, its ridiculous.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:00 AM

It quite simply was [censored] up. The ball was chipped from 40+ yards out and the AR/Ref didn't have a good angle.

Link to Video of Live Play, Replay, and End Game

(ignore from here on if you're one that wants a sports forum)

The assistant referee was at least 30 yards from the endline as Mendes hit the lob from near midfield (he's supposed to stay even with the last defender unless the ball goes behind him. Believe it or not, the AR isn't as fast as a kicked ball. The referee was presumably about even with the AR (no video) but from a straight-on angle. This did-it-cross-the-line kind of play can easily be solved with video and IR analysis. No matter the importance of the Tottenham-ManU game, however, it doesn't compare to Geoff Hurst bringing England it's only World Cup glory in '66 with a goal that I still have a hard time believing went over the line.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:09 AM

Having been a high school referee this type of play is tough to judge. The problem is that you aren't at a very good angle and you're running like hell to get down toward the goal line. I don't think they'll change anything, FIFA is very reluctant to add referee's to the field (for example I find it extremely unlikely that we will see goal judges as there are in hockey). While the FA is more willing to make changes - they were first to use radios between officials for example, I don't think anything will get changed.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:11 AM

Wow.

That video is nuts. I'm going to take back my previous statement. I didn't realise that the ball actually bounced on the ground several feet over the line. That's unbelievably obvious.

Tough break Spurs fans.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:38 AM

I don't think the ball is over the line. Someone said "look at the shadow of the ball" but you have to realize its in mid air. The goalie's shadow angles in a direction that would imply the ball's shadow is also angled in toward the goal. Also look at it relative to the goal post? it doesn't even look like its past the post yet.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:00 AM

Hah. After seeing the pic, I was about to post something like your initial post - with a lob with some pace on it, if the referee can't get close enough quickly, it is near impossible to see where in relation to the post the ball is when swatted out of the goal. BUT THEN I WATCHED THE VIDEO AND SAW THAT HE DIDNT SWAT IT OUT IN THE AIR - IT BOUNCED FIRST!!!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 07:03 AM

Even at that angle it looks a million miles over the line, watch the video.

Anyone who watches football regular can see thats over the line, in real time watching it on Match of the day it looked a million miles over, sometime the margin is close and even with video replays and zooms on the ball and line its hard to tell but that one was not even close.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:07 AM

ALright I saw the video now, its definately a goal.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:11 AM

Where were you sitting? I'm just curious how well you could see it live.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:17 AM

I think NFL is a good indication of how video technology can screw up the game, even in a game thats structure makes replays easy to look to they have been unable to deciede the best ways to use replays. It breaks up the play and slows the game too much and I think can lead to poorer referees cos they know they dont have to make a decision and can look to the replay to get to the correct outcome.

I prefer the current method and could see it working in football too, you are allowed a small number of challenges so that match winning plays and decisions can be reviewed rather than every corner/throwin etc which footbal could end up at.

But as a spectator of football (and my team having been screwed by incorrect decisions) I really dont want replays coming in and spoiling the flow of the game.