Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Economists Polled About Bush Policies

[ QUOTE ]
US economists as a whole are very liberal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Economists are usually fiscal conservatives. They don't like deficits and they don't think tax cuts can "boost" the economy (the economy is HUGE, and any tax cut is small as a portion of the GDP). Bush is a "religious/social" conservative, not an economic one.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:17 PM

"Economics is a social science (whatever that means), so there is some logic to it. But remember the concept is not all that old, so economist in fact do not know everything about economic factors yet."

Yeah--but I trust them more than I do anyone else. Take 20 claims about economics. I ask a hotshot prof in the econ dept. at my local university. My opponent answers the questions himself. Who will have more correct answers (assuming there are correct answers?

"In regards to asking "experts" as though they were the most impartial and intellectual on a topic is dangerous. Take homosexuality for example, if you asked a conservative leaning human sexuality scientist or Physchiatrist, there more likely to tell you people decided to become gay, but a more liberal leaning "expert" is likely to tell you they are born that way."

Well, yeah, if they disagree you gotta be careful. (for what it's worth, on this particular issue, I think if you polled the geneticists and biologists and human sexuality experts at the local stste university, there wouldn't be a whole lot of disagreement. I could be wrong, though.)
Old 10-13-2004, 08:39 PM

[/ QUOTE ] I think the problem many economist have with the tax cuts is that they were cut in the wrong area. Personally, I would think cutting more middle to lower class taxes is better because it is more likely to increase consumer spending. Instead, because Bush's tax cut favored the upper class, who are notorious tight wads who like to save their money instead of spend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you suggest that consumption spending is better for economic growth than investment spending?
Old 10-13-2004, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you suggest that consumption spending is better for economic growth than investment spending?

[/ QUOTE ]i think as of right now, with interest rates so low, consumer spending is better for economic growth than investment spending.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:54 PM

they are economists, meaning they are trained in economics. meaning they are educated, meaning they are liberal. yes, but maybe being liberal isnt soooo crazy afterall if we equate it to education? hmmmmm....

rj