Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Shortest night ever.

I think your post does show us something.

It shows your incorrect mental approach to the game.

In Feeney's "Inside The Poker Mind" he points out that quitting early just to ensure a winning session, especially after 6 minutes is extremely flawed thinking. Poker is one long session, anyone will tell you that. By quitting early you are in fact losing money if you are getting the best of it at that table because in theory you are making a set amount of money for every hand you play. You lose money for each hand you didn't play.

So actually your story shows how inexperienced you are at poker theory.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:40 PM

In terms of money his thinking is flawed, but its not necessary bad for the person to leave early if they're happy with there quick win, especially if its just a hobby. He made some quick cash, and as this post explains, he very happy about it, and will be until the next time he plays. congratulations on your night.

these posts although useless, don't really effect the quality and usefullness of this forum.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By quitting early you are in fact losing money if you are getting the best of it at that table because in theory you are making a set amount of money for every hand you play. You lose money for each hand you didn't play.

[/ QUOTE ]

By this logic, any good poker player is losing money for every minute not spent playing poker. But well-adjusted people who are self-employed understand that you can't look at work this way or you'll always be feeling guilty when you aren't working. And besides, in this example, there is no evidence that that poster had "the best of it" at this table--he simply hit some great hands right off the bat.

[ QUOTE ]
So actually your story shows how inexperienced you are at poker theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think his story really says all that much about how experienced or not he is in poker theory.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:08 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default the fact that this has 20 responses is the reason good threads get los

simple posts are not the reason that this place is flooded with crap. it's the fact that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU decided that you needed to comment on it

I know I'm just as guilty as anyone else, but come on... one response is enough. he knows how much of an idiot he is
Old 10-08-2004, 07:11 PM

I also believe there's a small psychological advantage to "leaving on a good note" for some people.

You might be at a very +EV table, but book a huge loss after being up early. Then, the next time you sit, you're less confident, playing scared when you should be aggressive, etc.

I try not to let it get to my head when I have good results early in a session (I usually try to play a certain number of hands, and let that number dictate the length of my session), but every now and then I think it's okay to leave a touch early after taking down a particularly nice pot or two.