Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Re: TT UTG

Elysium's advice is excellent. Actually, against a fairly sane, straight-forward player, you could actually check-call the flop AND turn, yet check-fold the river in about one in three or four.

Most solid players will bet their unimproved AK again on the turn, with position heads-up from the flop and onwards, rather (and just about ALWAYS unless improved ON the river) take a free showdown.

There could also be made a case for a check-call, check-call, bet... line, however this also has downsides, particularly against expert players.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A fairly typical line for a big pair here heads up would be to wait for the turn (or maybe the river in the case of AA) to raise after being checkraised on this flop. If he has jj he might 3 bet here for more info. otherwise I think more often then not he waits. If he has AK or JJ, then obvioulsy this line is best, If he has KK or QQ then it ends up costing 2 big bets to find out you're beat, and he has AA it might end up costing 3bb or maybe even 4 (if you think he's capable of bluff-raising the river, prolly not in this case) Given the situation of being ready to leave and not wanting to blow off too many chips on this hand, I like check-calling the flop and leading the turn here, that way, although risking giving AK a cheap card, you can find out where you're at for 1.5bb after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never in my life, so far as I recall, folded on the flop heads up with an overpair on a rag board

[/ QUOTE ]

Against certain live opponents it is definately possible to be able to confidently muck an overpair on the flop. This situation was certainly different, but in a 20/40 earlier this summer, I open raised QQ utg, a loose wierd type coldcalled right next to me (he was one of those pl/nl players who liked to splash around a lot with position, and didn't really adjust his preflop hand selection, and a very tight pro 3-bet. 3 of us to a flop of 7-5-2, I check/fold. There was no way, especially after the coldall, that this guy was gonna 3-bet me w AK or JJ. I was confident enough I was beat that I didn't even bother putting 1 bet in the flop. The point is TT could be easily folded on a rag flop against certain types of opponents live.

(In the end, the tight player got his KK cracked by the other guys 64s in a big pot)
Old 08-15-2004, 08:20 AM

Seems pretty simple. Check and call. If an ace or king hits, check and fold.

my 2 cents.
Eric
Old 08-16-2004, 12:07 AM

What does "safely fold" means??? Letting someone outplay you? Folding when you behind? Giving up on the hand where you not sure where you are?
A lot of solid players will try to rescue thier AKs, AQs or 99 by raising the turn. Now does that mean your fold to a raise is a "safe" one? The point here is that you just do not know where you are and heads up, against a tough opponent, you not likely to find out. So yes, i will pay off when i am behind and will take his bluff when behind.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:03 AM

Default follow up

At the risk of getting this account banned as well here's an interesting (to me) follow up to this. Playing today I was caught bluffing a couple times (once called on the river by KQ no pair when I had KT) in short succession while the villian in this hand was at the table. About a round before the below hand I had raised preflop in LP and was called by the button and villian in the small blind. Flop was 9 x x two spades, was checked to me, I bet, button folded, villian checkraised, I 3-bet, he called. Turn was a red jack, he now bets into me, I raise him again and he calls. River is a small spade and he bets into me again and I immediatly call and he turns over A9o. Clearly this should tell you the amount of respect he gives my bets/raises. Anyways the "interesting" hand that came up is as follows. Villian open raises 2 off the button and I call in the BB with 5c4c. Flop is A 7 2 rainbow, I check and he checks. Turn is a 6, I bet and he calls. River is a 4, I think for a while and bet and am called by his pocket tens. I think I royally screwed up this hand in a number of places but the worst was preflop. It appears I have zero bluffing equity against this opponent ever and I cannot make this call preflop (where I would normally call any other player here) if that is the case. I dunno, I need to think about this more. Click below to notify moderator.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have 4 racks of chips in front of me and 6 extra in my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
When I first read this far into the post, I thought you had 6 extra racks in your hand. Which would be impressive on a number of levels.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:14 PM

I think this line is very very good.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:39 AM

i must first assume that you threw 6 chips in the pot and not 6 racks although it does sound like you had 6 racks in your hand lol...

here is a spot where i used to c-r the flop and if called or 3 bet i'd call and be done with the hand on the turn...but sometimes that AKs flops a flush draw etc. so no matter what you do you'll never ever be happy enough with the info you get so i now check call check call check fold...this is only been learned recently and i think its probably the best line and if not it really can't be that far off. there is no way he value bets the river with just ak, but will/might bet it on the turn...

-Barron
Old 08-28-2004, 05:43 AM

Couldn't this be an unimproved AK bluffing? If I'm calling the turn, I'm sure as hell calling the river on a 7/1 that he has ak, aq, 99.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't this be an unimproved AK bluffing? If I'm calling the turn, I'm sure as hell calling the river on a 7/1 that he has ak, aq, 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHO is on the river with you? "a very rocky mp"... very rocky mp will fold aq to vehn's raise. he will also NOT bet unimproved ak.

-Barron