Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Successful SnG players:Are you usually short stacked when in the $?

[ QUOTE ]
From strassa2:
In general, this is how my stack progression goes.

In the first 3 rounds I'll either have doubled up against a crazy, be eliminated by either running into a monster with a monster of my own (or be eliminated by silly [censored]), but most likely I'll be somewhere around 800-900 chips. I may've had AK and raised, and then missed the flop and check/folded 3 handed, or something like that. I'd say I'd average about 850 chips by the time I'm at level 5.

Then when its 100/200, I'm almost always in push/fold mode. From there I either double up, get eliminated, but most of the time steal blinds to usually creep up into the 1000-1400 range. Then its more of the same. I'm usually not the small stack when we are down to 3, but often I am.

AA, my impression of you as a player is that you are trying to be far too mechanical. There is no guide to winning poker. It doesn't exist. Apply concepts, play ABC poker, and think for yourself. Post some hands where you faced some tough decisions, and we'll try to help you out.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh..glad a good player like yourself has around the same chip avg as myself. plus it sounds like the way you play is similair to mine:
never limp in the later rounds. raise or fold. and if the raise mkes you commited, push instead. rinse and repeat.

is that considered mechanical play? and i thought ABC poker was mechanical play? if not, then what is it?
Old 07-16-2004, 03:18 PM

When I was referring to mechanical, I was saying that the tone of your post was like this. "I had QQ, I raised 1/2 pot like the guide said, and I went all-in, because the guide said to." Or, "I flopped top pair, the guide says to bet XYZ, so I bet XYZ." Poker is about adjustments. Sure, 98% or more of the decisions are ABC poker, but what makes someone good is the ability to adjust and mix it up.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW once I am one of the big stax, Ill raise any hand I play to 3xBB AA or 79s they all get raised, take advantage of scared money

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a hole in my game. What do you do when you are a short stack, and there's four or five left? Any hand I'd play I open-raise for 3xBB. The stronger ones I'll reraise all-in, the weaker ones get folded.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:23 PM

I'm usually second or third when in the $. I'm pretty tight early on and let the maniacs blow their stack or pay me off later. I need to become more aggressive as the middle rounds occur but I must be doing something right by getting in the $.

Not being higher when in the $ could also be because you aren't maximizing your strong hands. Sometimes you'll simply get no action no matter what you bet but this may be something worth looking into.

1 Outer
Old 07-16-2004, 08:31 PM

you asked: are succesful players shortstacked?

I can answer- no.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you asked: are succesful players shortstacked?

I can answer- no.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you tell me how you usually play?
Old 07-17-2004, 08:42 AM

What/Where is Aleo's guide?