Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: The O.C?
No 39 86.67%
Yes 6 13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Let me know if my thoughts are correct on this session

You obviously completely missed my whole point if you think that I am not into reviewing my play.

Rather than assume things about someone based on the one thing that caught your eye that you disagree with, why dont you try and actually figure out where other people are coming from.

(pay more than two cents next time, thanks)
Old 11-25-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You obviously completely missed my whole point if you think that I am not into reviewing my play.

Rather than assume things about someone based on the one thing that caught your eye that you disagree with, why dont you try and actually figure out where other people are coming from.

(pay more than two cents next time, thanks)

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt assume anything, i commented about an exact quote that you made.

rj
Old 11-25-2005, 04:10 AM

As did I, read your post again.

Do you require me to spell it out for you?

N99
Old 11-25-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
youre not beyond posting hands. my good friend guyontilt is a fantastic player who im sure is well beyond your skill and he posted a hand last week. anyone saying theyre beyond posting hands is pretensious and needs to reevaluate their play, because if you arent constantly reviewing your play you will have a much more difficult time improving. just my two cents.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

So not only are assuming that I am pretentious and that I am not interested in reviewing my own play just because I said Im beyond posting individual hands, you even admit at the end of the post that it's "just your two cents". Perhaps you dont realize that's short for "this is my opinion"

If you read your own post again you will see that your main sentence is an assumption not a fact. (if it was a fact you certainly dont provide any sort of explanation to go along with it)

Here's where you are wrong:

1) The whole point of my post wasnt about how I was beyond posting individual hands, and just because I felt that way doesnt mean that Im saying that I cant use some help in evaluating my play. What do you think the point of my post was??

2) You claim I am pretentious. That's just stupid, you dont know me and you obviously cant figure out the context in which one sentence in my post is coming from. And to assume so is pretentious, so you are pretentious. (I could say that anyone who replys to a post just to nit pick one something they say without any reason or explanation or any actual thought is pretentious)

3) You go thru your saying about how anyone who isnt constantly reviewing their play will have a much more difficult time improving. Again why did you think I posted this??

You dont know me, and you certainly dont know anything about me, and judging from your choice of a response you arent the greatest judge of what's going on there is.

When I say Im beyond posting "how do I play this hands", what I really mean is that in the whole magnitude of getting better, that is about the least important part of improving at the moment.

If I was to have a hand to post, that at least would mean that I know that it covered something where I didnt know what to do, which means I have tons of other means of looking into it.

The reason why I choose to post a whole session instead because I figured in general there are probally things that I may be doing often that are not profitable, and since this was a session that I couldnt think of anything that I did wrong off the top of my head it was the perfect one for someone to look at. If you were to just look at one hand, you dont really know if that's the way I play in general or if I just happened to make a poor decision for that one hand. When you have a whole session to look at, that lays it out there because you can see patterns of things that I am probally constantly doing that might not really be normal.

Even if I did post a hand, what Im also saying is Im not one of these people who is asking "should I have checked, folded, raised, etc...". Obviously we should all put a lot of thought into what decisions we make, and if I have a reason for doing something and someone has another reason for doing something else, that's what Im really interested in.

Also I knew that anyone who was capable of even looking at part of a whole session like that is more likely to be on the same page with me as far as studying their game and trying to use PT to find leaks, which makes their opinions far more worthwhile than someone who just glances at one hand and doesnt put any thought into it and gives you some kind of know-it-all answer.

But perhaps you'll just pick things out of here as well to disagree with. It's okay to disagree but if you arent willing to at least try to see where Im coming from and you simply want to make assumptions dont bother.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:51 AM

That makes sense. I guess I was playing weak in that regard. I never really thought about the blinds. If Im LP and I have to open I usually raise because I dont want the blinds to see a cheap/free flop so Im not sure why I didnt think of it in other situations when Im limping.

It seems kind of dumb now that Im always willing to open raise with all kinds of hands because I usually didnt like open limping, but I kept limping behind with probally much weaker hands behind the other limpers.

I didnt like open limping because I was afraid of getting a LP raiser. Yet when Im in LP and I get a limper, I limp behind. So would you say that's kind of part of what's screwed up in this picture?

I guess I was treating Axs like a drawing hand, even though I could hit the Ace and been in all kinds of trouble.

But even if it's just a drawing hand (like a small pair), it's probally not too bad to raise in LP, right? I kept trying to sneak in for one bet which might of been bad because I probally want the pot bigger anyway in case I hit my big draw. (besides the other benefits of raising)

So anyways it seems like rather than limp in most of the time I need to decide whether to take the aggressive approach if the situation calls for it, or whether to fold?

(Im sure sometimes you would limp along, but if I never did, would anyone even make a note of it?)

I tryed to play this way today (raise more limpers from the CO and the Button) with a few hands that I would of normally limped with, and it seemed to work out a lot better.

What got me is a lot of the people that limp are the weaker players and because I was just limping along I rarely got to isolate them. Id much rather go one on one with them because I want a shot at taking their money before someone else does.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As did I, read your post again.

Do you require me to spell it out for you?

N99

[/ QUOTE ]

UGH, WTF?

Mack
Old 11-25-2005, 11:53 AM

Hmmmm, I should let you get the last word in.

Here's my point. If someone's only point is to try to pooh pooh someone's ideas, and/or to accuse someone of being pretentious then you are wasting my time and yours.

Whether I "sound" pretentious or not, I had a valid question and was interested in someone who was willing to put some thought into it and help me out. Lots of people did that and that was awesome.

Now I know that probally well over 73% of the people out there are only capable of making simple little comments, so do I plan on remarking to all of them? Of course not.

Luckily I got a lot of great responses so in the future I will try to just ignore the useless ones.

Yours ("Mack") is the greatest and most intelligent of them all though, congradulations.

The Dialek is cool though, I hadnt seen one of those in awhile.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I say Im beyond posting "how do I play this hands", what I really mean is that in the whole magnitude of getting better, that is about the least important part of improving at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you really feel this way - what you need to learn about is not only how to play better poker but, also how to learn to play better poker. Posting individual hands is essential to improving the quality of your play.

[ QUOTE ]
If I was to have a hand to post, that at least would mean that I know that it covered something where I didnt know what to do, which means I have tons of other means of looking into it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Posting in on the forums should be one of those means. The fact that your dismissing this method of learning is unfortunate for the efficiency of your improvement.

[ QUOTE ]
The reason why I choose to post a whole session instead because I figured in general there are probally things that I may be doing often that are not profitable, and since this was a session that I couldnt think of anything that I did wrong off the top of my head it was the perfect one for someone to look at. If you were to just look at one hand, you dont really know if that's the way I play in general or if I just happened to make a poor decision for that one hand. When you have a whole session to look at, that lays it out there because you can see patterns of things that I am probally constantly doing that might not really be normal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Posting sessions are great but your thoughts on the value of it are misguided. The only real pattern that we can see in your play across this very small sample of hands is that you fold the worst junky starting card you get. It looks like you played for about 1:40 on one table. That's about 80-90 hands. You seem to play reasonably tight you out of all those hands you didn't actually put money in with more than about 15 hands. Add in about 8-10 BBs and we've got a total sample of about 25-30 hands. If you understand anything about sampling - you understand how useless your data is in detecting the patterns that you refer to.

[ QUOTE ]
But perhaps you'll just pick things out of here as well to disagree with. It's okay to disagree but if you arent willing to at least try to see where Im coming from and you simply want to make assumptions dont bother.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are being very defensive towards the comments of one or two posters in this thread. This is not going to improve the quality of the response from the forum in general. If you want to post a thread to gain advice on your play then you need to accept whatever advice, from whatever person is given to you. To get defensive against one or two other posters only serves as an example to everyone that you really aren't interested in anyone's opinion. It's obvious by your defensive posts - as well as the gerenal tone of your OP - that you've got a very solid, definde opinion of your play. After reviewing your hands I can tell you that this opinion is far what reality. You need to take the advice of everyone and keep trying to improve.

Good Luck!
Crunch
Old 11-25-2005, 12:23 PM

Crunchy,

Thanks, your response makes a lot of sense, and I cant really argue with it.

All Im saying is it's nicer to get a well thought out post like yours, rather than a simple one that wasnt well thought out and doesnt really serve any purpose.

There is a huge diffrence between actually reading a post and thinking of a response for each part (what you did), and just posting some simple comment based on one sentence that caught your eye that is possibly taken out of context.

I certainly DONT think Im right about everything and if someone can show me to be wrong I realize that's actually a good thing.

Maybe I worded the "beyond posting individual hands" wrong, or I just didnt think enough about it myself before I put that part in.

But other than that I definately wasnt refering that I thought I was perfect. When I said I thought I played this session perfectly I was simply explaining that I probally wasnt and I definately hoped people would find mistakes....

Why else would anyone think I bothered to post it??

I'll lay off of them for now, sorry about that.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:37 PM

Frankly, i'm surprised people even gave you the time of day on this post.

You have made 0 forum contributions prior to this post, and then post a 100 hand session expecting analysis becase you feel you are beyond posting individual hands? Usually people need to pay coaches for this type of attention. I don't blame people at all for referring to you as pretentious.

We'd all love to be able to post full sessions here and have people critique our play, but it just doesn't work that way. Nobody has the time for it, and it takes away from in depth discussions.

Please, in the future, post individual hands, or a small set of similar hands that you have questions on. You'll get a much better response this way.