Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Narrowing the reverse gap: the early-out phenomenon

Is PlayerView part of PokerTracker or is it a separate program?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:32 PM

It's a seperate free program (like game time) that gives you heads up display of information in your db about opponents. you can learn about it here:
http://www.playerview.net/

it's super-effective for ring games but i wasn't aware of any real utility for SNG's until maximo's post.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I look for high VPIP (>40%)

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation to english please [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2004, 03:58 AM

VPIP = PokerTracker-ese for Voluntarily Put $$ In Pot.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the lower limits, this reverse-gap mentality is made even worse by the stack sizes. After one orbit, 3-5 players will have more than 1000 chips, and the others will have less than 800. It seems that this really bothers the poor player. They see their stack of 720 chips, see 4 opponents with 1100 chips, and they get very nervous. That extra digit makes a big perceptual difference. So when chips are pushed at them, their K-8s starts to look like a good way to catch up to the big stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Irie-
Great post . . . it made my head hurt. I have, also, noticed the comfort from having the 4 digit stack even though it's only 200 more than you started with.

Here's something I've been struggling with, I've been playing it too aggressively and I think it has hurt me. If the shorter stacks are feeling pressured to make a move their range of raising hands should be widening, shouldn't our gap of what we are willing to call them with widen as well? If I understand what you are saying ("speculative hands like pocket pairs will actually decrease in value") then our range of calling hands should actually tighten up?
Old 12-22-2004, 02:50 PM

Well, It's not so much tightening up as it is eliminating the speculative limps. These tables seem to become more tentative after a few early-outs, so the implied odds aren't there. But you can often pick up more chips than usual through aggressive positional play. If I know I can be last to act at a table like this, I'll have a pretty wide range of raising hands.

As far as widening my calling standards, that doesn't figure into my game until we are in the money. I try to always be the one getting my chips in first until we are 3 handed or I have the goods.

Irieguy