Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Re: The hand Greg moved in and i walked around the table

[ QUOTE ]
IIRC they had been sparring pretty good with average cards. If Greg thought his A out was good that gave him 12 outs on the turn, that is pretty close for immediate odds (obviously a bit low). Hard to say without exact stack sizes etc. but if he thought he could bust Josh on the hand if he flushed it seems like an autocall at least (ie implied odds). My question is what about a flop raise to get a free next two cards. I think the money might not have been deep enough as Josh said.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, I misread Josh's post. I thought Greg picked up the flush draw on the turn.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:35 AM

I guess its why there isn't much live poker shown, as most of it comes down to a raise taking the blinds or ending on the flop. Its annoying when you play poker as seeing everything is more interesting to get an idea of the texture of the table and overall play of everyone. ESPN coverage is crap at best from what I've seen over here in the UK.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sadly dissapointed at what ESPN did to this years final table.... there were many great hands of poker played between Greg and myself and David and myself, i believe that all three of us were on top of our games.... ESPN showed none of that...

[/ QUOTE ]

My friends and I have had small watching parties and we all felt the same way. As you stated elsewhere the final table definitely needed to be a two hour show. And for all shows ESPN needs to do a better job showing the stack sizes, blind/ante sizes, bet size relative to the pot size and so on (for instance, the WPT does a half decent job here).

Although they may perceive the primary market as being casual viewers and want to make things "dramatic" rather than technical, a significant percentage are serious poker players or those that want to be. That segment of the viewing audience has the potential to grow, the casual viewer will ultimately bore watching a continuous string of "move all in", "coin flip", and 'bust out" hands. Ultimately, showing move in or bust out hands one after the other just plain cheapens the coverage.

[ QUOTE ]
if you watch the final table on pokerstars, you will see that either Greg or myself raised nearly every hand and played a lot of small pots together..

[/ QUOTE ]

The pokerstars coverage had quite a few technical difficulties plus they got a lot wrong (at least on the initial showing). What I and a maybe about 500,000 people would love is one tape/DVD with the final table unedited (except for the breaks where the table was reset) and the stack sizes, pot sizes and blind sizes clearly indicated. I'd pay $40 for that.

Good post.

~ Rick
Old 09-26-2004, 11:19 PM

Good read. Thanx for posting this kinda stuff.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:23 AM

Default Re: was looking forward to watch your play

After reading rave reviews about your play on Cardplayer, I was looking forward to watch you play on T.V. Unfortunately, like you said, all I got to see was coinflip hands, and the hands you got realy lucky in. Also, ESPN really made you look like a really cocky guy on t.v. Oh well, what can you do.

Good post too...
TheArtist
Old 09-27-2004, 12:33 AM

Default Re: was looking forward to watch your play

As an average poker player who makes his money due more to other's bad play rather than my own, I am forever thankful to ESPN's coverage. I think we all understand that there is alot that is not being shown, but the rest of the world thinks that poker should be played the way it is aired on TV, ie- all in every other hand, bluffing every 5 hands, and so on.

I know that we would all like to see the best in the world go at it at the final table the way it really happened, but for now I'll be happy that ESPN's coverage brings alot of people into the game. I think we have ESPN to thank for Party Poker and the rest of the online games that most here seem to do pretty well at.

I just know that every time some guy walks into my weekly game wearing sunglasses and quoting Rounders that my wallet gets a little fuller.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:34 AM

I was sitting there during the entire final table of the WSOP. Josh is absolutely correct. EXPN screwed the pooch with their coveage of the final table. Greg and Josh made that table an event worth watching. Poker is not the most exciting thing in the world to watch but these two guys kept everyone on the edge of their seats. If Josh didn't raise Greg did. They played and played and played against each other is how I remembered the event. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]