Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: I call BS

EasyE, I see nothign wrong with his all in play, not necessarily anyway... He was on the button and shortstacked and 1st place is the only place that gets any money. Basically what I think he did is he decided that he will pick up the blinds with that bet enough of the time to justify his raise with any two cards, in which case, obviously his 2 cards don't matter.

Also, how can all of you guys say that Brunson is old and plays badly. There was a whole segment in the show where everyone said how incredible it was that Brunson is still playing so well and how he's at the top of his game now. So ALL OF YOU MORONS SHOULD SHUT UP.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:23 PM

Default Did Howard know?

Wonder if Howard was aware that Doyle had not looked at his cards? I wasn't watching the hand that closely so I could not tell.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Did Howard know?

Maybe, Howard is pretty damn observant. I think if you are going to do this (push with any two) you should at least pretend to look so that you aren't getting your opponent to call with more hands, since you are probably rooting for a fold.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Doyle, what the HELL was that?!??!

I don't think doyle had much more than 4 times the bb, so I think his push was fine, especially given the payout structure of the event.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:09 PM

I dont know any of those players but, I am pretty confident in saying that was probably not the first time Doyle has done that and probably has successfully taken down many small pots with that play. This just so happened to be on T.V. and just so happened to run into a call-able hand.
Next time I'm playing for 2 mil. (which will probably never happen) I'm pushing blind at least twice!!!
Old 09-22-2004, 06:18 PM

Think of it this way:

-You're 71 with nothing to prove.

-You're not nearly as impressed with the money as some of your opponents.

-You've been there for what seems like a million hours.You're 71 and tired.

-Phil is adding to your time by posing for the cameras every time it's his turn.

-You're on the short stack.

-You're 71, tired, on the shortstack, agrrevated as hell by Phil Hellmuth, nothing left to prove and 2 million comes and goes to you. PUSH WITHOUT LOOKING!! God bless him!
Old 09-22-2004, 06:25 PM

Default How much does doyle care about this tournament?

Probably not that much. First off, did you see his house? Second off, he plays in games where you can make a lot more. Most importantly though, he was shortstacked in a tourney where ONLY FIRST PRIZE GETS MONEY.

It's not worth his time to eek it out or pay 1/8 his stack to sit around and wait for a hand. If he has 5x bb, he is increasing his stack by 20% if lederer folds. I would say that lederer folds 80% of the time. Sometimes he plays the hand out and wins, and plays for real again. Sometimes he goes and gets a drink and takes a nap.

You do the math.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Re: How much does doyle care about this tournament?

Amen Noo Yawk!!!!
Old 09-22-2004, 10:09 PM

exactly and they even showed a clip of the games where chip, doyle and others play where they have million dollar winners every night.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:28 PM

Default Re: I call BS

EasyE, I see nothign wrong with his all in play, not necessarily anyway...
If he decides to go in, fine, KNOWING he's going to get called by just about anything. but to do it BLIND? 83o is the hand to do it with? No way.

he was on the button and shortstacked and 1st place is the only place that gets any money. Basically what I think he did is he decided that he will pick up the blinds with that bet enough of the time to justify his raise with any two cards, in which case, obviously his 2 cards don't matter.

But they DO matter, for two reasons:

1) Anyone in the blinds is going to call him with just about anything, given his reported puny stack. You want to chance it with a NO LOOK hand?

2) If he was on the button, he had 2-3 hands at least before the blinds hit. NOT LOOKING at his cards and going all-in is the best decision here? What did he have, one chip?

I STILL "call BS"

Also, how can all of you guys say that Brunson is old and plays badly. There was a whole segment in the show where everyone said how incredible it was that Brunson is still playing so well and how he's at the top of his game now. So ALL OF YOU MORONS SHOULD SHUT UP.

[/ QUOTE ]