Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 03:59 PM

Default Re: pulling out your winnings

Aha, but you never had a 200BB swing!

I'm quite sure your risk of ruin is less than 1% with 200BB at Party 3/6. I don't think we've played together much, but I can tell from your posts.

I think this just means that your chances of going broke starting with a 200BB bankroll are less than 1%. So you could have a -200BB swing and not go broke (for instance if you have increased your bankroll to 300BB before the swing).

Perhaps I am overstating this. Someone who has a lower BB/100 or is just moving up should really have a larger bankroll. Also, people who cannot put more money into their bankroll if they go broke. I am not overly concerned about about going broke.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:09 PM

Default Re: pulling out your winnings

wait till your babystacks are fullgrown.

said another way, treat your roll as an investment where you are reinvesting your earnings.

that seems like the best approach to me, but i think it really just comes down to a matter of personal preference.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:28 PM

Default Don\'t keep excessive money online!

Do not confuse your bankroll with your online poker account balances.

Any online poker room regardless of size could go bankrupt tomorrow. Money in a poker account is not safe. We are talking about young companies in a new industry located in strange places with virtually no independent oversight or regulation. Theft, corruption, mismanagement, and excessive debt are natural events in this type of environment. Bad things have happened before and they will happen again.

Never keep more money online than your need for your day-to-day playing requirements. Transfer excess funds back to an interest-paying bank account or other safe liquid investment.

Your bankroll is the money you are willing to lose playing poker. It's still your bankroll even if it's in a bank.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Don\'t keep excessive money online!

huh huh, the title of this post is "pulling out" huh huh
Old 09-15-2004, 07:56 PM

Stellar, great post IMO. I have never confused my bankroll with my online poker accounts, as some of it is located in different places/ types of accounts. However I think I tend to keep much more than I need in my poker account. I think I am going to take your advice and transfer the excess to savings.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:06 PM

Excellent point.

I was aware of the difference, but never thought about the inherent risk.

What about Neteller? Would you consider that a "safe" enough place to keep money? Of course, it doens't pay interest, but since I'm only talking about around $200-300 right now, I'm not worrying about the interest until I have a larger BR.