Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: One month and little improvement....

For one session, try never limping outside the blinds pre-flop. If you are going to play, raise. If you feel you can not raise, fold (and keep a list of hands which you would have played but now feel you must fold). This experiement was offered a couple months ago (sorry I do not remember by whom), and I think you are the perfect candidate for it.

Oh, and not to beat a dead horse, but *** position, position, position *** . You can play lots more hands in late position, maybe as much as 50% more.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Sorry Vipon, my mistake!

"Welcome to the world of tomorrow!"
Old 06-22-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This experiement was offered a couple months ago (sorry I do not remember by whom), and I think you are the perfect candidate for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
link
Old 06-22-2005, 12:54 PM

100% is in fact impossible (maybe not in theory but at least in practice), but the raise first in % still looks a bit low. It also looks a bit low from mid position. Although these situations that are being passed up on are probably only marginally profitable, so I don't think it's a very big leak.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For one session, try never limping outside the blinds pre-flop. If you are going to play, raise. If you feel you can not raise, fold (and keep a list of hands which you would have played but now feel you must fold). This experiement was offered a couple months ago (sorry I do not remember by whom), and I think you are the perfect candidate for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds like an effective way to throw away money in a loose-passive game.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:32 AM

You play WAY too tight...your VPIP should be at least 17 if not 19 and your button VPIP should be 25, the PFR will go up as soon as you open up.

Just like any stats post, there is no way for you to find how to open that up without posting/responding to hands until you get a grasp on what to play preflop.

Good luck and play well,
Joe Tall
Old 06-23-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You find 9-3 is a good time to play ? I'm not a fan of those hours on party.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this sort of talk ridiculous. I don't care what time or day you play, table selection, table selection, table selection.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not suggesting that this is a good permenant strategy, particularly not for all game types. I am suggesting that against many opponents this is closer to proper play than OPs current stats would indicate his play is. In any case, seeing how people react to it is instructive.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not suggesting that this is a good permenant strategy, particularly not for all game types. I am suggesting that against many opponents this is closer to proper play than OPs current stats would indicate his play is. In any case, seeing how people react to it is instructive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did that after sthief posted it, and it was a great, eye-opening experiment for me.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If PT calculates that statistic differently and 100% isn't possible, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

PT does not calculate this statistic properly. The number reported is number of hands raised when first in divided by total number of hands dealt in that position. If the player to your right always limped in the CO, then your stat would be 0%.

In my last 40,000 hands, this stat is reported as 3.5%. Using filters, I find that the true stat (as in, what we think it should mean: hands raised/(hands raised + hands called), first in on the button) is 99.5%. (I limped once.)