Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Re: What can you do wrong at Sit&Gos???

[ QUOTE ]
You are asking very general questions and there is little to be learnt from any answer to those.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?? Either I'm thinking two levels above everyone else here or two levels below.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:28 AM

English is not my best language either. I think that's why people have trouble understanding my posts. The problem I'm having though is, it's the only language I know. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Later,
Rick
Old 05-20-2005, 08:23 AM

i think what others mean to say is:

a) it's too hard to tell anything meaningful from your sample size. play more sng's. you could be a bad player or you could be a good player on a bad streak. you haven't played enough to tell.

b) your questions are too general. you're attempting to generalize very tricky situations, which can rarely be done. it would be nearly impossible to put relevant values into all of your X's and Y's. it would do you a lot more good to find a situation that applies to one of your questions and post the hand history on here and ask how you should have played it.

hope that helps.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:29 AM

a) I know and knew that even before posting. I just posted my sample size because it was over 7777 hands, which is cool.

b) Yes I tried that:
Limpers

Big Stack

Small Stack
Old 05-20-2005, 09:18 AM

Why are you playing $55s?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:29 AM

Because I'm in the process of learning Sit&Gos and the 109s are said to be quite hard?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:10 AM

From the looks of your stats it seems you are a bad HU player. Looks like you get too many 3rds. I am thinking it's possible that you dont play the bubble very well and worry more about getting ITM more than winning the tournament. You probably blind out too much and get pushed around once you are in the money and dont steal/push enough. Your 39% ITM and 10% ROI dont match up and thats the only reason I can see other than Variance.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because I'm in the process of learning Sit&Gos and the 109s are said to be quite hard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting method of learning. I have been playing the $5.50's since Sept learning how to play SnG's.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:18 AM

OK, I do understand what you meant so let me respond to you in order (no need to apologize for the English, BTW, it's fine):

1)Right off the top of my head, I can observe two things: you need to stick to one buyin level for now because your results and questions indicate that you are clearly not good enough for the 55's, and, your ITM is so low, even at the 20's, that you have major leaks everywhere in your game.

Having said that, your bubble thinking is on the right track. All of the things you ask about computing really come from reads and experience. Come back in 500 more tournaments and you'll have the answer yourself, really; in the meantime, you can construct a few default ranges in your head ("AA-TT, AK-AQ", "any ace, any pair", etc.) and try to group everyone into those. They will vary by blind level and by whether someone is the raiser or the caller, but you'll get the idea after a while anyway.

However, you have some big leaks. Losing 2 chips a level for the first three levels *is* a big deal. In fact, unless you've got more bad beats there than I've ever seen, it's horrible. You're also on the wrong track entirely with some of your questions about limpers - once you have those and there are deep stacks (above 8-12 BB), to a large degree you need to play poker.

I would start learning how to play that (in the 20's) by reading a lot of postflop play threads and then come back after a while. Your results should be positive at each and every level you play up until the last one or two, and in fact, it is much easier to keep them green the earlier it is in the tourney.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:20 AM

"From the looks of your stats it seems you are a bad HU player."

Yeah in normal heads-up matches I am not very good. But Partypoker end game is not real heads-up, rather a function of pushing enough and calling enough. I dont gain much extra Equity that way, but I dont think that I lose too much either.

"I am thinking it's possible that you dont play the bubble very well and worry more about getting ITM more than winning the tournament."

It's quite possible I dont play the bubble very well - but I dont worry at all about getting ITM. When analysing my pushs afterwards it seems I have more very marginal pushes then missed out pushes. I think stats are completely worthless, because at the 33s my distribution of finishes is:

1st: 14
2nd: 5
3rd: 8

but only 27.84 ITM. But dont pay attention to those stats, they include a 10 OOTM series which isnt too common.