Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: What\'s the consensus on limping UTG with AK early in a tourney?

kurto, i gotta ask, what level do you play on and how many tables do you play at what roi
Old 02-14-2005, 07:17 PM

Sometimes you will bet, sometimes you won't. It depends on some factors such as number of opponents, texture of the flop etc etc.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:18 PM

You treat UTG limps as a raise in a $215 sit and go? A lot of people limp UTG with any pair and much much worse.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:29 PM

The correct answer is... there is no consensus [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think limping is weak. I don't understand people arguing to limp with a premium hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're arguing it because early position sucks. I'd recommend reading Tommy Angelo's posts (most recent ones are in mid-high limit, but older ones have more NL/PL). Moreso than anyone else I've seen, he argues the value of position. They may give you some perspective on why people are tentative with AK up front.

There are certainly strong arguments to be made on both sides. The argument for limping tends to rest on the fact that raising will often end up with you out of position with unpaired overcards as the preflop raiser facing a pot that's 1/4 of your stack and multiple opponents. That situation sucks, therefore people consider other options. That said, limping has its own pitfalls, but thinking about this is most certainly worth your time and effort.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think limping is weak. I don't understand people arguing to limp with a premium hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're arguing it because early position sucks. I'd recommend reading Tommy Angelo's posts (most recent ones are in mid-high limit, but older ones have more NL/PL). Moreso than anyone else I've seen, he argues the value of position. They may give you some perspective on why people are tentative with AK up front.

There are certainly strong arguments to be made on both sides. The argument for limping tends to rest on the fact that raising will often end up with you out of position with unpaired overcards as the preflop raiser facing a pot that's 1/4 of your stack and multiple opponents. That situation sucks, therefore people consider other options. That said, limping has its own pitfalls, but thinking about this is most certainly worth your time and effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. It's the structure of one table SNG's that has started to get me to think about this. The more I play them, the more I realize that it's especially important to not lose to many chips early. AK is a good hand--very likely the BEST hand when you get it UTG, but it's a hand that you can lose a lot of chips with out of position against a full table. The unique structure of these STT dictates tight play early, especially out of position.

I'd raise it UTG in a MTT, BTW.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:55 AM

in a multi i would definitely get as many chips in there as i could, but then again im a maniac in mtts and play about half of the hands i get, so i go out early or get deep in the money. but yes, this is dead on, postition is of extreme importance. AK early does suck, and sucky situations are not for multitabling sng players.