Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Hardest to easiest

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

got a B in honors physics in highschool. I did no homework.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]
This is pretty funny.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This whole thing is ridiculous and incredibly subjective. For one, it all depends on the person. If someone has an affinity towards physics, it could be quite easy for him and being a surgeon or a salesman could be very hard. People who are very athletically gifted may find football to be quite easy. Second, just saying, for example, physicist means very little. You could be a physicist studying/researching at the leading edge of some crazy far off [censored] or you could be some mindless lab rat or a professional grad student - not hard. Likewise, in my profession, aerospace engineering, the very best engineers are so talented across so many disciplines - they're crazy brilliant physicists, awesome mathemeticians, they probably write great code like a CS, and they can write reports like a journalist. They're sending things into space, they're landing on the moon and Mars, and they're breaking speed records and whatever else. Then, you've got your peon cubicle jockey who can build a finite element model and read numbers off the screen and tell you what it says - not hard. I suspect it's much the same across most disciplines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but can they have 15 tackles for losses in 95? Yeah, didn't think so.

Sup bro?
Old 03-18-2005, 02:38 PM

1. Surgeon
2. Physicist
3. Computer Programmer
4. Lawyer
5. Poker Player
6. Stock Broker
7. Chef
8. Football Player
Old 03-18-2005, 02:41 PM

It depends on the specialty as well. Neurosurgeon pretty freakin hard. Orthopedic surgeon: 'strong as an ox and twice as smart'.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:41 PM

A losing player's perspective:

Football player
Poker player
Physicist
Surgeon
Lawyer
Computer Programmer
Stock Broker
Chef

--
Physicist and Surgeon are really close, I only give the nod to Physicists because their coursework is harder, but I imagine it would be harder to stay being a Surgeon than it would be to stay being a Physicist, once you got there...

Poker player I was tempted to put above Football player. I think many, many people really overemphasize their short term (1 to 2yr) results. It is easy to beat poker in the short term, even the fishiest of our opponents can do it. All the skill in the world cannot compensate for the worst luck in the world though, and as we are supposed to be taking average people, I think the more people who attempt playing poker professionally will fail than those I have listed lower on my list.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think a stock broker is? Why do you think it is hard? A stock broker is not a trader or an investment banker. Stock brokers are salesman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I would have ranked that near the top of my list for difficulty if I had presented my rankings. I would have put physicist near the bottom, despite its ridiculous level of intrinsic difficulty. Yes, I would have to use my brain a lot more in physics, but I would have a lot more fun doing it.

I think the rankings are tough to come up with since what is most difficult might be enjoyable, and what is the least difficult might drive one to an aneurism.

Depending on your bankroll, Poker Player could be the most difficult profession, since there's a lot of stress that you have to combat when you find yourself on a bad slide and a little below your safety cushion. Note that you cannot make money if you run out of money. That's stressful.

I would have a harder time selling jeans at a Gap than I would being a banker or physicist. I'd surely be horrible as a broker. Surgeon would be tough since I'd never make it through residency with my sanity.

In this respect, Computer Science is fairly difficult, mainly because after you solve the neat problem you have thousands of lines of code ahead of you to pound out to finish it up. No matter how hard the original problem, the coding aspect is mundane after the problem is solved.

So, I guess it depends what you consider easy.

~D
Old 03-18-2005, 03:21 PM

it should be clear
football player is hardest
the others aren't near
Old 03-18-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it should be clear
football player is hardest
the others aren't near

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of these people think that football players are just enormous physical specimens, and not people that actually work their asses off to become that way. It was too hard for me to ever make the effort, and I was starting off a lot further along than most professional athletes do.

~D
Old 03-18-2005, 03:36 PM

This thread is kind of stupid, I agree with the gist of Patricks post.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is kind of stupid, I agree with the gist of Patricks post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed! We should stop this nonsense at once. Let us return to the real business of the OOT forum: talking about who's gay, who's straight, and Alizee tour dates.