Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Who is your favourite guitar shredder?

[ QUOTE ]
Dark - Glad to know that someone else out there knows some greats, mainly Lynch. I have an Aria Pro MA-30 that I got signed by George in Cleveland, Ohio after a Lynch Mob concert (Wicked Sensation tour) while partying with him and Mick Brown in hotel bar after they closed it down..... one hell of a great night....

Sadly, this was in the days when I taught guitar 3 days/week at the local music store. Haven't picked one up in 5 years though..... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

All in all, I'd have to say:

1 George Lynch
2 Neal Schon
3 Cris Oliva (too bad he died prematurely)
4 Alex Skolnick
5 Al Pitrelli

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember Yngwie once saying the only new guitar players on the scene that impressed him were George Lynch and Warren De Martini. I went out and picked up Tooth and Nail right away.

Did you know that Lynch was Ozzys' first choice to replace Randy but he had that skunk style hair-do at the time and didn't look the part? It would have been interesting to see what they could have done.

BTW, just saw Journey two weeks ago and Neil Shoen rocked. Never was a fan of them until I saw them live.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:14 AM

Michael Angelo. Just for watching somebody shred for shredding sake you won't find any better. Sure he has nothing to say on the guitar, but it's like watching a carnival freak show. Very cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.

This one goes to eleven.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1 George Lynch
2 Neal Schon
4 Alex Skolnick
5 Al Pitrelli

[/ QUOTE ]

Quality list. Good to see there are still some Schon fans out there that can set aside the "gayness" of Journey to recognize one of the best rock guitarists to ever pick up the six string.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are the last three on that list? If memory serves me I think Skolnik is from Rush.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:21 AM

Michael Schenker

I'll let others elaborate. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Yngwie is awesome and is probably faster, but lets face, he can get a little sloppy at times.

I do have a good Yngwie story though...

When I saw him at the San Jose Civic about 20 years ago, people where climbing up the pillars on each side of the stage, being general drunk fck nuts like any good concert go'er should be...

The pillars where about 12-15 feet high and when one guy got up there, instead of just waiting for security to pull him down...He decided to stage dive...

Bad idea.

Once he jumped, the croud parted like smoothcalls legs when he see's BigSteve coming for him (thats wide). Except for one reallly dumb guy...

...and sure enough...he landed square, right on that one idiot. Funniest thing I think I've ever seen.

Oh, but it got much better.

The next day I went over to my sisters boyfriends house to hang out. I get into the house and to the room he's in and as soon as I see him... He had a sling on his arm and a look on his face like someone had just landed on him...

...and someone just had... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

He immediately jumps up and starts to go on about how 'he was at Yngwie last and some guy jumped on him...' bla bla bla...

I let him go on for about 10 mins before clueing him in to the fact that I had seen the whole thing and that, at that point in time in history...He looked like the biggest idiot in the world...

It was great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1 George Lynch
2 Neal Schon
4 Alex Skolnick
5 Al Pitrelli

[/ QUOTE ]

Quality list. Good to see there are still some Schon fans out there that can set aside the "gayness" of Journey to recognize one of the best rock guitarists to ever pick up the six string.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are the last three on that list? If memory serves me I think Skolnik is from Rush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oliva played in Savatage.
Skolnick used to play in a band called Testament.
Pitrelli has played with a number of bands, including Savatage, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and I believe Megadeth.

eastbay
Old 07-27-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your memory has failed you. The guitarist for RUSH is Alex Lifeson.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:25 AM

Thanks, EB. Nice to see others that recognize good tunes. You have any opinions on Schon's solo stuff? I presume you knew he had a new solo album out... I On U, released a few months ago, I beieve. Only guitarist I've ever heard that can sit on one note and make it literally bleed, if you know what I mean.

My personal faves. by him would be Send Me An Angel and Call Of The Wild (Beyond The Thunder), Late Nite (Late Nite), Father (I On U), and his cover of Bocelli's Con Te Partiro (Voice).

Lynch is a given. Actually, I'm glad he never took the teaching job at Randy Rhodes's mother's music store when Randy left to play with Ozzy or he never would have got with Dokken. Paris Is Burning.... CLASSIC

Pitrelli would have never made this list if it weren't for the work he's done with Trans-Siberian Orchestra (and Savatage). I give my highest recommendation to check out their tour when it comes around (always around X-mas). Some phenominal guitar work by both him and Skolnick, and it was great for me to see Skolnick supplant Pitrelli in Savatage after Oliva died.

Cris Oliva was my personal guitar hero (along with Lynch) and was the biggest reason I started playing. The stuff he did with Savatage...... just so much there... I can't even begin to describe the impact he had on me.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:28 AM

Didn't Shon and Sammy Hagar do an album together once? Oh, and now I know the Trans-Siberian guys. Saw the concert once on PBS where Jewel works her well developed pair of lungs on a song. Those guys are jawdropping.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:32 AM

Dark,

EB had it right, but Skolnick is also with Trans-Siberian Orchestra now. If you were to only listen to ONE Trans-Siberian Orchestra song ever, find and listen to Christmas Eve In Sarajevo from their album, Christmas Eve & Other Stories.... YOU WILL NEVER BE THE SAME (neither will your taste in christmas music, for that matter!). Actually, you should find this song and listen to it NOW!

If it doesn't send shivers up your spine when you hear it, your are either:

1. Deaf
2. Dead
3. All the Above
Old 07-27-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't Shon and Sammy Hagar do an album together once?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.. didn't last too long.