Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Changes in the 6-max game at Party

[ QUOTE ]

But this is what you want. You want to get all-in with AA. You want to lay odds so bad, that, no matter what, you can push the flop and love the outcome win or lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was likely the case with 50bb stacks and a decent raise/reraise. however with 100bb stacks, you will have to make a huge preflop raise to lay bad enough odds. no ones gonna call enormous out of character raises.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:57 PM

Then how do you explain people playing 1000NL, 2000NL making it 200 to go, 300 to go, 400 to go ?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:02 PM

Sorry sour, you're wrong.

The biggest adjustment made is probably going to have to be abandoning the mentality of going to the felt with big pairs. With big pairs you want to play a small pot (when stacks are 100bb or greater).

Also, the size of the stakes doesn't indicate someone's skill level. There are bad players everywhere.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:04 PM

Sigh, okay I meant good high-stakes players.

Sorry, I'm not wrong, but I don't mind that you would think so. This is a game of different opinions, after all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And I will gladly call those new 2$ raises with 22-99 and fatten my BR.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I will admit that's how I thought until a few months ago, just go ahead and ask higher limit players if they raise the same with T9s as they do with AA-QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey beaver. Thanks for the reply.

I read the mid/high stakes forum quite a bit and I don't get the impression that many of the posters there vary their raise size based on their holdings. I'll definitely take a deeper look now though.

I understand what you are saying about laying the small pocket pairs the right odds, but in order to force them to make a mistake preflop with 100bb stacks, you have to raise to ~10bb or so. I can't imagine this is the best way to win with your monsters. Maybe I'm wrong? I'm sure I'll find out in the coming weeks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2005, 01:15 PM

Rather than raising more, you can work on your reads so that you know when to lay down big pairs postflop. Implied odds are only relevant if you pay off. If you are uncomfortable playing big pairs with deep money, you either need to work on your postflop play or raise so much preflop that implied odds are no longer relevant.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then how do you explain people playing 1000NL, 2000NL making it 200 to go, 300 to go, 400 to go ?

[/ QUOTE ]

is there 2000NL?

also, sorry for hijack, but how many tables do they have at various levels?

man, i can't wait to get home.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest adjustment made is probably going to have to be abandoning the mentality of going to the felt with big pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, with the deeper stacks you'll have to try to play small pots with your big pairs. Sour, the way to kill implied odds for ur opponent's PPs and SCs isn't to raise >10xBB everytime u get a big pair--that's just too easy to read-- but to be able to let your big pair go when you sense youre beat postflop.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:22 PM

LOL, you are really foaming at the mouth here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

NL1000 is the highest limit they have. When I looked this morning there were ~5-8 6-max tables at each level for NL400 and higher. I'm not sure if they added more NL200 tables though?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:36 PM

Big hands play is an ongoing experiment for everybody, but I was just laying the basic odds principle.

We all have to experiment and find our own zone with the big guns [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]