Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2002, 03:32 PM

Default A note on \"Ultra Lights\"...

I just recently read results of a study that appeared in many newspapers that ultra light and low tar cigarettes are NO BETTER for you than the full flavor variety, and may actually be more harmful. This is especially true if you switched from reds to ultra lights; you usually overcompensate on ur drags to get the same nicotine rush which results in toxins being inhaled more deeply into the lungs. Ultralight cigarettes use the same tobacco as full flavor, they just provide more "ventilation holes" on the cigarette itself. Unfortunately, these holes are often blocked by your lips or fingers depending how you smoke your cigarette. DEFINITELY try to quit, but do not be misled that light cigarettes are healthier...might as well enjoy the reds.

Jeff
Old 02-11-2002, 08:53 PM

Default the worlds last logical positivist says

Go for it. Nothing, not even poker can improve you like the study of philosophy. That is if youre the kind of person who can grab the bull by the horns. In my little old department at Mississippi State you can tell the philosophers from the future lawyers (sophists). The future lawyers come to class, say nothing, and leave. The philosophers stand at the union, or the philosophy department, or the local coffie shop and argue with each other. Sometimes just for the fun of it, but mostly trying to reach some synthesys. Either way you will gain something, but guess which one gains more.

Be warned however, if you actually study philosophy you will walk away with precious few answers, and many more questions.
Old 02-11-2002, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Discipline - I\'ll have some of that please!

"What I am after is the discipline to do the right play when you _obviously_ have the worst of it or the discipline to not steam after losing with AK vs K8 (after flopping Kxx, betting $200 all-in only to get called by K8 man who then hits his 8 on the river).

What are the trade tricks for getting the discipline?"

I've used dozens of mental gadgets over the years, such as practicing bad beats in my car and in bed, such as telling myself it'd be stranger still if AK DIDN'T lose to K8 lots of times, such as reminding myself that plumbing and fruit plates are luxuries, such as, and this is the main one that permeates everything, keeping my expectations way low.

Tommy

Old 02-11-2002, 10:42 PM

Default Re: aside to Zeno...

Baggins (Bilbo?). Philosophy has been a study of mine for many years but I have no formal (scholastic) training. I am self taught, just as you must teach yourself to play poker. I have always been an advid reader and find philosophy a fasinating study. A few of my old college friends took class in it and we use to have good discussions (I took classical comedy instead of a philosophy class). One of them went on to get a Phd in Philosophy and is now a Professor at a eastern catholic universtiy. He is the token atheist on the staff. A fact I relish and also find very amusing. He studies the Mind/Body problem. In philosophy there are very few solutions but a bus load of problems.

If you have the determiation to really finish something that will not be easy to complete then you should go back and get a degree. A degree in philosophy will not be that financially useful - but it can provide a good framework for living well and be a springborad for other endeavors. But when you graduate you will probably have to drive a truck to pay off all your debts (I'm being a cynic). I don't mean to discourge you - but teaching is about all that a philosoghy degree can do ecomonically and most people go on to get higher degrees - or become lawyers as Mississippi Gambler so adroitly pointed out.

I do not like giving serious life advice as it can lead to uninteaded disaster. But since most of life is an uninteaded disaster anyway perhaps you should take mine.

As an aside, two excellent books (if you don't have them)to start your philosophical studies are: A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell and The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant. Amazon.com should have them or any large bookstore. By the way, do not neglect eastern thought in any self study or formal education that you may undertake.

To paraphrase Socrates -

An unexamined life is not worth living.

Best of luck - Zeno.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:32 PM

Default Re:Hard Core

Jeez, Ed I, you're hardcore. Are you from MT. or something. Copenhagen is probably the most physically addictive, but I never liked it enough to do it all the time.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:40 PM

Default Hey-

I used to argue with the professor in class or other philosophy students outside of class and became a lawyer anyway. I guess I hated the idea of either getting a PhD or working at a pool hall, so I chose the middle course.

I'd say go back to school regardless. If you like philosophy do it. If you like something else better do that. There's always law school to make money if you don't like anything else. :-)
Old 02-12-2002, 01:07 AM

Default Re: sorry

What I ment to refer to were those students who just view philosophy as one way to a degree so they can enter law school, but have no wish to engage in philosophy as an activity.

However i still stand behind lawyer = sophist
Old 02-12-2002, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Fair Enough N/T *NM*

Old 02-12-2002, 02:27 AM

Default Re: My name is a Tommy. I am a cigarette addict.

Panglossian? There you go quoting some half-assed philosopher.

Murray
Old 02-12-2002, 03:16 AM

Default Re: Pangloss - Candide- and Murray

Sounds like a law firm doesn't it. O.K. lets not get started - because it will never end and the string will be the longest and least read thing on S&M's illustrious forum. So yes; half-assed is right. But at least Voltaire had a wit and he could turn a phrase like few ever could. And his Philosophical Dictionary is pleasent and amusing to read if not that profound.

I concide - you win the pot. Please don't bring anything else up. Lets get back to poker!

-Zeno