Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2003, 04:29 AM

Default Re: 2004 Political Prediction

Hi Mark,

I agree about the economy. If the unemployment rate isn't a lot lower, I can see people just voting against him to try someone else. Don't know much about Wesley Clark but Howard Dean seems to have a poplulist message that's appealing to a lot of people. Supposedly Bush's closest advisors relish the thought of a possible race against Dean. I think they should be careful of what they wish for.

Tom
Old 08-28-2003, 04:59 AM

I too am obviously biased against Bush, but I don't know if I'll just vote for any old democrat that runs against him. I certainly won't cast my vote for him, but I want to hear some tough talk on Bush's screw-ups from them first. The deficit, tax cuts, destroying US credibility with the rest of the world, etc. I don't know if this country can withstand another 4 years with Bush at the helm. Can anybody recall the last president who didn't lie in our faces? Jimmy Carter, maybe?
Old 08-28-2003, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I too am obviously biased against Bush, but I don't know if I'll just vote for any old democrat that runs against him. I certainly won't cast my vote for him, but I want to hear some tough talk on Bush's screw-ups from them first. The deficit, tax cuts, destroying US credibility with the rest of the world, etc. I don't know if this country can withstand another 4 years with Bush at the helm. Can anybody recall the last president who didn't lie in our faces? Jimmy Carter, maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Jimmy Carter is your best example I'll take Richard Nixon back. My favorite Carter quote, "Infaltion is our friend". Gotta love the spend and tax platform.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:16 PM

ripdog,

"Read my lips...no new taxes!" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Actually, Jimmy Carter, in my opinion, had the most integrety and he still makes an effort to help the less fortunate.

Mark
Old 08-28-2003, 01:52 PM

All the issues you enumerated are legitimate campaign issues IMO. So the following only applies to them in an abstract sense. How candid should a president be and if it's really important it certainly isn't sufficient in and of itself. Hitler was honest for instance in that he basically stated what he'd do long before he came to power. As a thought experiment let's say that Howard Dean gets elected. One of his main issues is fiscal responsibility i.e. balancing the budget. Let's say that after he's elected he doesn't push to eliminate tax cuts and doesn't do much for the budget deficit (it's already a given that a stronger economy will help a lot in trimming the deficit). However, he does restore US credibility with the rest of the world for instance and say does do something about medicare/medicaid to make it more cost effective and efficient. Well he lied about fiscal responsibility but did a lot of other good things. Would he really be that bad? Politicians lie all the time but I submit part of the problem is the US electorate.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:54 PM

In my original post I stated that Dean's position regarding civil unions might be a detriment. Not sure now. FWIW I agree with your analysis.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:10 PM

not to mention direct support of genocide in east timor.

what a guy.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:09 PM

Default Re: 2004 Political Prediction..lol

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]real obvious...hillary is only dem who can win...she may get the call next year...otherwise she's a shoe-in in o8...no joke...gl [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2003, 11:04 PM

I watched the last "debate" (or whatever the hell you call that stuff they do with a stage full of candidates). Dean failed to impress the audience, mostly all union members. Lieberman not only failed to impress, but drew boos for his anti-union stance on school vouchers. When he heard the boos, he told the crowd that he would not simply play to them but, instead, speak for those positions he believed in. Kerry seemed polished and slick, too much so, and I think the voters in the audience picked up on this. Sharpton, of course, drew the greatest response because he effectively played to the crowd. Graham's performance was careful and measured, and the audience seemed to listen carefully. I was most surprised by Braun who did a fine job (I expected much worse.)

I don't think Dean will make it; Kerry should be the favorite, but he needs to let his better nature come out and avoid the slick one-liners. Lieberman will simply tell the truth, and that's political suicide--even though it shouldn't be.