Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Re: PART 2, 3, & 4

I feel like we're dog-piling here. In many ways, the guy is being honest and sincere. It's admirable that he he would nut up like this and on top of that share the experience by writing about it.

Nevertheless, I'll add one more observation. The first paragraph includes this statement:

I have taken $5,400 out of my IRA to explore this adventure

Dipping into the assets growing tax free has gotta be an -EV move right from the start.

Take a shot at LV, sure. But building up a bankroll at home first seems like good prep work and a lot smarter than dipping into retirement money.

I mean, the Bad News Bears did go to Japan, but only after breaking training.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, the Bad News Bears did go to Japan, but only after breaking training.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great point. I can't believe nobody else made it.

Code Red, Ward 3, Code Red, Ward 3. Jacket needed.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:33 AM

Default CASE CLOSED **NM**

Old 04-05-2004, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Another Doomed Wannabe???

And if I ever lose at cards
I'll only admit my luck is hard
And if I ever lose at cards
we-ee-ee-e-e-el
I won't play mirage, no more
Old 04-05-2004, 01:49 PM

I was wondering if this article was going to be discussed here. Although he has called it "Can I make it as a Pro" I'm not sure this was never his intention, I think he was a recreational player who thought it would a great idea to play poker for an extended period of time, and who wouldn't.

Although everyone here has realised that he is not 'pro' material, he thought he'd give it his best shot, and more power to him. He obviously had fun, he tried to fulfill his 'dream' and it certainly made entertaining reading.

More evidence for 'doomed wannabe' status

[ QUOTE ]
The first hand I am one off the button and I get KQ. EVERYONE calls to me so I raise to thin out the field a little. One guy drops. The flop comes Q-5-3 rainbow. An OK flop considering. Now everyone checks, I bet $2, everyone calls. The turn brings a K. Everyone checks, I bet $4 and everyone drops except EG2 who calls. I figure obviously a cowboy. The river brings an A and EG2 bets. Great he has A-K and he ets runner-runner to win. I call he turns over 2-4. My jaw drops and he looks at me like, 'I had to stay'. He is really excited and I smile and say 'nice hand'. He happily rakes in the pot and said if they hadn't been suited he wouldn't stayed. I just smile. Everyone is oooing and ahhing over his explanation. EG2 then goes on to win about every third pot until the tournament starts and has started to give advice to people. Now he is just annoying

[/ QUOTE ]

Not his play, just his thought process, my guess is 'EG2' was in the BB.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:03 PM

pudley4 had a post about this on the B&M forum and I responded without scrutinizing the article. If this guy really wants to see if he has what it takes to be a pro, he could have saved the air fare and spent a good long while in Canterbury's $15/30 game before his $5400 was gone. If you can't beat that game, you probably can't beat poker, and the $6/12 game is about as close to free money as you can get.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:12 PM

Tony Holden took a year off from whatever he does and spent a year as poker "pro." He wrote a book chronicling his experience, which as I recall began with the 1988 World Series and ended with the 1989 World Series, give or take a year. He broke about even, but he did get a book out of it, which probably made the whole venture worthwhile from a financial standpoint. I don't think this guy is going to be able to recover his $5400 by writing for pokerpages.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tony Holden took a year off from whatever he does

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a writer, was before, was after.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, calling all those bets on the flop with overcards, and on the paired board on the Turn was the logical thing to do...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and it gets even better on the turn, where he puts the nine seat on A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] with two clubs and a heart on the board (and our genius holding the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]). So, by his own reckoning, he's got a dominated hand, now drawing to two queens (which are most probably behind one of the other players), with his only real hope being running hearts for the nut flush.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:44 PM

Man he was in so over his head. I was cringing as I read . I'm just glad he didn't lose his entire bankroll.