Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Anything wrong with marijuana?

sry, cody, but guns DO kill people. even if the responsibility rests upon the person that used the gun, the dead person wouldn't be dead if the gun wasn't there. (hand)guns facilitate murder, crime, and the existance of dangerous situations.

the whole 'guns don't kill people...' argument is, IMO, a conservative cop-out intended to dodge personal responsibility (responsibility garnered by years of fighting against tough gun safety laws) rather than promote it. the other respondant showed the absurdity of the argument nicely, i think.

thanks for your response anyway.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:45 PM

I don't know what age group you are...

I'm in my my early thirties & hardly indulge nowadays.

But, i think we both agree that anyone grouping weed with nasty drugs like alcohol & cigarettes really doesn't know what they are talking about.
I had this conversation at my local dog track a couple of days ago with one of my older friends ( he is early 60ish).
It is odd that he both smoked & was drinking scotch , but i guess people become 'programmed that way' through the years.

He's a nice guy, but it's hard to defeat all that rubbish you read & see in the press.
Enjoy.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:47 PM

Come to Vancouver my friend..and I will take you to a place where you can find out all you want..

Lawrence
Old 05-01-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The 'gateway drug' argument is absurd. No intelligent person should be fooled..

[/ QUOTE ]

uhm, no intelligent person should be fooled by this argument or fooled into doing other drugs??

Either way Marijuana is definitely a gateway drug, for both smart and stupid people. You could argue that so are alcohol and cigarettes but marijuana is a gateway to other illegal drugs. You can sit here and say "doing one drug does not make you do another". And I will agree. However, smoking marijuana definitely makes you more likely to agree to try other drugs, shrooms being the biggest example ive seen. Then coke, herion etc. I have a lot (a lot a lot) of first hand experience in this with friends and family. Some very intelligent people.

-JP
Old 05-01-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come to Vancouver my friend..and I will take you to a place where you can find out all you want..

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean? i will find out all the bad stuff or all the good stuff?

if you were being serious, i would take you up on your offer. I will likely be taking a trip to vancouver in the next few months, and am really not sure what to do once i get there.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
uhm, no intelligent person should be fooled by this argument or fooled into doing other drugs??

Either way Marijuana is definitely a gateway drug, for both smart and stupid people. You could argue that so are alcohol and cigarettes but marijuana is a gateway to other illegal drugs. You can sit here and say "doing one drug does not make you do another". And I will agree. However, smoking marijuana definitely makes you more likely to agree to try other drugs, shrooms being the biggest example ive seen. Then coke, herion etc. I have a lot (a lot a lot) of first hand experience in this with friends and family. Some very intelligent people.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this because of the drug or the people you come into contact with because you can't buy it at the store?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:20 PM

Everybody I know who smoked weed used to drink milk. I swear its true. Milk is a serious gateway drug. It has something to do with lactose I think.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everybody I know who smoked weed used to drink milk. I swear its true. Milk is a serious gateway drug. It has something to do with lactose I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is interesting. i have been known to drink milk from time to time. ill check myself into rehab right away.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:32 PM

considerably less dangerous than alcohol, but black people and poor people used it most so we persecute it. gotta have your illegal drugs. we also outlaw betelnut, probably the most used stimulant in the world, or at least second to caffeine.

it dramatically impairs short-term memory. with habitual use it reduces motivation in many but not all users. if you use it, you should at least smoke it through a bong. better to just eat it - then no lung cancer - but i'm told that is far more powerful so go easy.

a DUI is a DUI is a DUI. while marijuana impairs driving less than alcohol, it still impairs driving. that is not cool.

it does indeed help AIDS victims eat more. severe weight loss in AIDS comes primarily from not eating, so the hunger effects are helpful. its effects on glaucoma are mild at best. i file it under who-gives-a-[censored]. don't spew health benefits at me (they are way overblown), and don't spew dangers at me. alcohol remains a far more dangerous drug, and also far more beneficial in smaller habitual quantities.

how many billions would be gained by legalizing marijuana? first you release 750,000 prisoners, saving at least 30K/year per. then you tax it $10/ eighth-ounce. price still goes down with legalization. still need the cops to pursue tax avoiders. we save $20 billion on prisons and gain what, $50 billion a year in revenue? almost enough to fund an occupation of a hopelessly hostile nation.

sigh.

matt
Old 05-01-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The 'gateway drug' argument is absurd. No intelligent person should be fooled..

[/ QUOTE ]

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

"Gateway" drug. HAHAHA
If marijuana didn't exist, they would just lable some other drug a "gateway" drug to take it's place, and the exact same people would be doing that drug instead.