Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Played internet poker for the first time today!

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with you there because in many new players, like myself emotion comes to the table. If they win big pots they may get over excited and play to loose, if they lose a big pot they can go on tilt and either play weak tight or just way to loose. I have taken math courses and understand the logic that you are describing, but math isn't the only aspect of cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have to agree with this one. Saying two sessions of 100 hands is the same as one session of 200 hands can be slightly incorrect. Statistically probable downswings are often amplified by emotion (tilt), so actually taking a break after a "bad hit" might prove to be beneficial for some people.

But that doesn't matter anyway, because online poker sites are rigged, right? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

- thing85 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2005, 04:30 AM

Also, this is not intended as a flame; however your experience several times a week in your home game does not, in any way, shape, or form, give you enough experience for you to decide whether or not you are a "decent player," or capable of beating the online game, or even a B&M game consistently. Once again, no offense, but I'd say at this point in your poker experience, it is extremely likely that you are not good enough to beat the online game at the stakes in which you are playing, even if you were properly bankrolled. You have found these forums, you have a choice, read them, post hands, accept the advice from people who know more about poker than you, or not. Welcome to the forums.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if one losing session is enough to put you on tilt and cause you to have to take a few days off, then you shouldn't be playing poker, you clearly don't have the emotional control necessary to play the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break, everyone's gone on tilt at least once after a losing session. You make it sound like it's some kind of fatal mental condition. Tilt happens, downswing happens, and the only way to overcome it all is play more poker. It's clear that people who have put in 30k hands are usually less prone to tilt than those with 3k hands. Play more poker, study your flaws, read a couple books, and you'll be fine.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:33 AM

Thats not what I said, and if you read the way OP's sentence is written, it looks like he is making the common misconception that there is such a thing as "streaks," or that prior patterns determine future cards, etc. etc. It is such a common misconception amongst the vast sea of fish out there, I just assumed that was what he was saying, and corrected it.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:35 AM

He's talking about individual hands affecting his ability to play. This is a serious flaw. You will not always play your A game, yes, but you should have at least enough emotional control to not vary your game hand by hand based on how you are doing, and that is what OP is describing. And no, you should never go on tilt. If you are going on tilt, then you are playing at stakes that are too high for your bankroll. It does happen, but it is something that needs to be corrected immediately.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:22 AM

If you are going to be playing online, you should first start off with a proper bankroll for whatever game you are going to play. I'm not sure what they usually recommend for sit and goes and no limit play, since i'm a limit player, but this is one of the most important things for playing. As your first session showed you, an insufficient bankroll can be lost with some bad beats and other factors. Start yourself with a good bankroll, read the forums, and practice playing the game. Hopefully you'll start to see an improvement. Good luck with your future play on the internet.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
even when I Was betting 3x the BB, and then hit big .

[/ QUOTE ]
a 75 cent raise isn't gonna scare anyone at those tables.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:33 PM

I noticed that you mentioned 3 different types of holdem, single table tournaments, limit ring games, and no limit ring games. There are different forums for each of those here, and the forum for each one is the best place to get advice on that particular game.

I'd advise that as a beginning online player, you'd be best off picking one and staying with it for awhile, rather than trying all three at once.

And, as others have noted, bad luck hits us all, that's one thing you can't do anything about. The best player in the world can drop 150 big bets in limit holdem playing against the worst players, if his luck is bad enough during that particular period of time.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:31 PM

Thanks for all the advice, especially Jman. I have read the "Padding your bankroll for noobies" thread, and if those bonuses still exist I plan on following that path. What limit or no limit should I play with a bankroll of about 180 (assuming the bonus, 90 for 90 still exists).

Also, I know I posted about a lot of different games but rather than make 4 threads I assumed I would post here in the general Texas forum.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the advice, especially Jman. I have read the "Padding your bankroll for noobies" thread, and if those bonuses still exist I plan on following that path. What limit or no limit should I play with a bankroll of about 180 (assuming the bonus, 90 for 90 still exists).

Also, I know I posted about a lot of different games but rather than make 4 threads I assumed I would post here in the general Texas forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you are new to online poker, I would strongly recommend starting at just about the lowest limits you can find, and not moving up until you beat those limits for a significant number of hands. By significant I mean 10k minimum. I personally recommend at least 20 buy ins for whatever no limit game you are playing at, so that you can withstand a dry run, and so that you don't play scared. With $180, i'd recommend a five cent ten cent no limit game. (If no limit is what you want to concentrate on). And yes, you should absolutely bonus whore, that is going to be your primary source of income at this stage of your poker career.