Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Why I don\'t think MM was a good player at WSOP

I'm willing to give MM all those suck outs, because thats poker, but the one thing that kind of makes me sick is when he was heads up against chan and hits the nut flush on the turn he doesn't even realize he has the best hand until the river is dealt. I have watched this over and over (thank you tivo) and he doesnt react until the river.

I think MM is a much better player now, but at the time, he clearly wasn't a very good player.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:42 PM

Default Re: To the Moneyaker followers

You watched him play every hand of the tourney? All 40+ hours? Or are you basing your opinion on espns coverage?

The fact he just won 200k at another tourney says he better than average. It is fairly rare to win any tourney without getting lucky once or twice.

Ken Poklitar

Old 03-12-2004, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a simple reply for you; name me ONE player who consistently played better than Moneymaker that was shown. Just one......

[/ QUOTE ]

I can name several for you: Gus Hansen, Daniel Negreanu, Phil Laak, Paul Phillips, Phil Laak, Mel Judah and Brian Haveson.

However, Chris has shown he is a solid player, not trying to say Chris isn't among the top players in the world right now, but you can't say he's the best over the past year or so.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:46 PM

This whole thread smells of a Brett Favre commercial.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:48 PM

I'm basing my opinion based on the espn coverage and specifically the hand where he knocks out chan.

Clearly, MM has gotten better, his 2nd place finish is evidence of that.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm willing to give MM all those suck outs, because thats poker, but the one thing that kind of makes me sick is when he was heads up against chan and hits the nut flush on the turn he doesn't even realize he has the best hand until the river is dealt. I have watched this over and over (thank you tivo) and he doesnt react until the river.

I think MM is a much better player now, but at the time, he clearly wasn't a very good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the hand you are talking about and your Tivo must suck b/c he had the best hand when all the money went in on the flop. He had a AX (hearts) against Chan's KX (Hearts) with two hearts and an Ace on board on the flop, all the money went in. Chris said, "I need a heart," when Chan called, thinking he was outkicked or Chan had two pair or a set, I assume. Then when the cards were turned over, he exhaled and knew that Chan was drawing dead to two runners that weren't hearts.

You seem to have your facts slightly confused, better watch that replay again.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:59 PM

Actually my tivo is correct, but your brain must suck, because actually Chan was not drawing dead. He had a wheel draw. Remember? After MM says "I need a heart" Chan says "Give me a 2" and MM (like a dipshit) says "No 2 No 2" and then the turn gives MM the nuts, but he doesn't realize it.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually my tivo is correct, but your brain must suck, because actually Chan was not drawing dead. He had a wheel draw. Remember? After MM says "I need a heart" Chan says "Give me a 2" and MM (like a dipshit) says "No 2 No 2" and then the turn gives MM the nuts, but he doesn't realize it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course he realizes it gave him the nuts? Does your TiVo have some psychic ability that a VCR does not? Give us all a break.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:06 PM

Ok answer me this. If you put out Chan on the turn would you cheer? MM doesn't. He stands there in with pregnant anticipation for the river then he does his fist pump macho stuff.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:13 PM

Personally I would have cheered when the cards were turned over and I saw how few outs Chan had to win. As for Moneymaker he simply showed restraint until the hand was complete as he should. How can you conclude that after asking for a heart, then a heart comes on the turn that he did not realize he had the nuts? Penis envy on your part if you ask me.