Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2004, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Evelyn Ng in the news

[ QUOTE ]
I clicked the link, and went to the welcome page, but could not bring myself to continue, as I am hoping to maintain some semblance of dignity in my life, in spite of the popularity of poker at this time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I could not possibly agree more.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Re: She\'s the Jeanette Lee of poker (for you pool players) N/M

Isn't Jeanette Lee actually decent at pool though? I mean, I have seen her win some big tourneys against the top competition and all.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: She\'s the Anna K of poker (for you tennis players) N/M

Not nearly as hot though.

Anna K....yummy.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:30 PM

Hi B Dids,

I'd sat this thread out, but I'll have to chime in and agree here. I think a lot of the venom has to do with a beautiful woman succeeding in a "man's" career. And as a 40-something woman, I've been hearing the "she must be a whore" comments about successful, beautiful women all my life, and from women as well as men.

When I was in law school, there was some debate one day over what kind of jury you'd want if you were prosecuting a beautiful woman accused of murder. The consensus was, you would want an all-woman jury, because they'd be likely to convict her out of pure envy. The professor, who had been a career prosecutor, said that was very true.

So you have men who look at someone like Evelyn Ng and see nothing but a sex object, and women who look at her and are envious of her beauty. Between those impulses, a beautiful woman is hugely unlikely to receive credit for her skill at her chosen profession, whether she's a doctor, lawyer, news reporter, or poker player. She must've gotten to where she is by sleeping with someone....

I don't know Evelyn Ng. I've seen her play a few times, both on TV and online, and she seems to be a pretty good player. Is she overrated? I don't know. Does she get a lot more media attention than, say, Kathy Liebert, because she's "more" beautiful (by some estimations)? Of course. Do Annie Duke and Jennifer Harman get more attention than some other female pros because they're beautiful? Yes, probably.

But that doesn't change the fact that Evelyn, and Kathy, and Annie, and Jennifer are all making a living in a very difficult profession, where most people who try will fail. So I have to respect that, and respect them for it.

Cris
Old 04-07-2004, 02:55 PM

Well said, Cris. I agree.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:00 PM

Thank you, Cris. It needed to be said.

Although, the one thing separating this from a purely "beautiful woman" issue is that many of those who'd call Ms. Ng a "whore" are also the same who'd spend hours demanding that Chris Moneymaker is a poor poker player.

I think sexism aside, there's a strong need here for people to denigrate those who've achieved some amount of success in the game, and in particular, the newcomers.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:05 PM

There's a little bit of that, sure, but mainly I think the negativity comes from the fact that she is being hyped by WPT primarily because she's attractive, not because of her poker skills. There are many players (both male and female) that have proven themselves to be much better players than her, yet rarely get a mention anywhere.

Sure, sometimes you see some sour grapes about Jennifer Harman because she gets more attention when she is in an event. But, even though she's kind of cute, I don't often see this kind of thread about her. Because she's actually proven to be good at poker. That's not the case w/ Evelyn.

WPT clearly likes to hype the younger, more flamboyant, more telegenic players. That goes for both men and women. And of course there's going to be criticism about that.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:26 AM

a little movie link of her for u horny bastards
http://www.celebritymoviearchive.com...movie.php/8720
Old 04-08-2004, 11:19 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i don't see a link to actually download for free (i'm only asking because the same site has vida guerra movies...)
Old 04-09-2004, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't see a link to actually download for free (i'm only asking because the same site has vida guerra movies...)

[/ QUOTE ]
astroglide, huh...... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]