Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Moral Question II

[ QUOTE ]
The mother doesn't deserve to suffer (I mean lose her life) because the unborn child will kill later in life. Extrapulate this example to something like driving. Women can't drive and will undoubtedly cause some harm or death to someone if given a licence, should women not be issued driver licences?(the answer is: women shouldn't be issued licences) hmmm guess this was a bad example. Kill the mother and unborn child.

Dimitri

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:52 AM

I believe there was already a movie done on this starring Tom Hanks and was directed by Spielberg...forgot what this was called.

Anyways, your question is retarded.

Lawrence
Old 05-14-2005, 04:26 PM

Did you just watch Terminator and put your own little demented spin on it???
Old 05-14-2005, 08:09 PM

It does not necessarily follow that one kill the mother, one only has to kill the child. I have a Meta-question in response. How useful is this example...when will we ever know the path an unborn child will take? Never.

But, Let's suppose this is true...I don't understand that presuppositions that the killer cannot be stopped...why can't we put him in jail or maim him as compared to murder...but let's suppose murder is the only way...yes, you abort the child unquestionably...fetus' are aborted everyday and many people feel those entities are innocent...in this hypothetical case, this fetus is inherently guilty of the cold-blooded murder of two innocent people....since he would likely receive the death penalty anyways...there is no doubt that we should apply the death penalty to him in the womb

Also, it is wrong to kill an entity if we are robbing that entity of a valuable future...since this fetus does not have a valuable future due to our foreknowledge we would not be wrong in terminating it.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:17 PM

What about a child that this serial killer kid might have? Maybe a woman that falls in love with him? A cat that is given a home because of him? The teacher that has an experience that makes him reassess his teaching style, or his life? The fellow classmate that our serial killer bullies, who then begins to have his worldview completely altered, both gaining self-respect and confidence later in life, as well as having more respect for his fellow man? Maybe the kid he bullies works out every day starting at age 14, becomes a world class Curler, and inspires young Canadians the world over as a role model?

If you define "better for the common good" as "most lives not ended by direct human intervention on the part of either myself or this child," and convince me that the common good is the only consideration I should ever make in my life, the bitch is dead three times before she hits the ground. Holla.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:19 PM

I was just joking around with the Terminator thing. Is this really what philosophy is all about? Because I always here these type of "philosophy questions" but I am taking philosophy 100 and we never discuss this stuff. We just discuss Plato, Socrates, Marcus Aurelius, John Stewart Mill, and Zen.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the kid he bullies works out every day starting at age 14, becomes a world class Curler, and inspires young Canadians the world over as a role model?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If we define the value of a human life to be infinite (or close), all sklansk-ological arguments go out the window.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is close to infinite? anything that is not infinite is, by definition, infinitely far away from infinity.