Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Misses

One of the highlights of my golfing career was playing a practice round with Payne in '98 the day after he lossed the US Open to Janzen.

The Western Open has a remarkable support of junior golf, and this day there were thousands at the course. The moment Payne joined our group, we were swarmed.

There has to be some huge emotional let down coming off a week like he'd just had, but you couldn't tell it.

He signed hundreds of autographs. Chatted and goofed around, and thoroughly entertained.

On one hole, we were waiting on the tee for the fairway to clear, and boths sides of the tee spectators are lined up.
When it was finally time to hit, Payne teed it up, and made that long graceful swing of his, and cold topped it about 10 yds. off the tee.
He held his finish, in perfect balance, like he had hit it perfect. There was a gasp, then a second of silence, then an eruption of laughter.
He just kind of shook his head a little, teed up another, and striped it down the middle.

An entertainer, crowd pleaser, and remarkable talent.
May he rest in peace.

JTrout
Old 06-16-2004, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the highlights of my golfing career was playing a practice round with Payne in '98 the day after he lossed the US Open to Janzen.

The Western Open has a remarkable support of junior golf, and this day there were thousands at the course. The moment Payne joined our group, we were swarmed.

There has to be some huge emotional let down coming off a week like he'd just had, but you couldn't tell it.

He signed hundreds of autographs. Chatted and goofed around, and thoroughly entertained.

On one hole, we were waiting on the tee for the fairway to clear, and boths sides of the tee spectators are lined up.
When it was finally time to hit, Payne teed it up, and made that long graceful swing of his, and cold topped it about 10 yds. off the tee.
He held his finish, in perfect balance, like he had hit it perfect. There was a gasp, then a second of silence, then an eruption of laughter.
He just kind of shook his head a little, teed up another, and striped it down the middle.

An entertainer, crowd pleaser, and remarkable talent.
May he rest in peace.

JTrout

[/ QUOTE ]

JT,

Great story!! Thanks for sharing.

Tim
Old 06-16-2004, 05:10 PM

What really separates the PGA pros from the masses is their short games. I know several players (some with Plus handicaps) that are as good at striking the ball as just about anyone on tour. One guy is about 6'6" and can easily drive the ball 350, and he does it with regularity. He has played in a couple of the AAA-tour (whatever they call it now) and could probably compete out there. However, he is only a marginal putter (still, probably good enough). Where he stands no chance is around the greens. The PGA pros are incredible at getting up and down.

In fact, Tiger's "slump" isn't really as big of a slump as people think it was. When he was winning every tourney under the sun, it was primarily because his short game was extremely good; he didn't miss a 15 footer for 9 months, and his chipping was amazing. This was really a case of the best player "running good" and you can see the devestating results. Admittedly, his game isn't as sharp as it was back then, but nobody could be expected to make as many putts as he did.

To gain the ultimate in appreciation for PGA players, just look at a guy like Justin Leonard. I can hit the ball about 20 yards past him, easily. If I played every day, I could probably hit almost as many greens in a round as he does. However, the dude will beat me by 8 strokes, easily, due to the fact that he makes pars on his mistakes, and I can't. Plus, he'll make a birdie and a half more a round than I would, since he's such a great putter. That's all it takes.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Re: US Open Predictions

Davis Love III may have an outside chance.