Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: AQo played properly?

my main reason for reraising is that if you don't reraise with AQ here, you will be killed by a loose preflop but good postflop player. he will make you laydown best hand (which is often ace high) with continuation bet on the flop and trap you if he flops a monster.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:00 AM

Exactly. I noted the stakes before and noone seems to pay attention to it.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:01 AM

thats fine if he is weak tight postflop. the tighter he is postflop, the better the reraise becomes.

I don't mind a call from PFR. he has to flop something to play with me when I reraise and he just doesn't flop something often enough to make his call of my preflop reraise worthwhile.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:02 AM

higher stakes don't neccesarily play tighter.

this is a common fallacy.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:05 AM

POSITION!
Old 10-28-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thats fine if he is weak tight postflop. the tighter he is postflop, the better the reraise becomes.

I don't mind a call from PFR. he has to flop something to play with me when I reraise and he just doesn't flop something often enough to make his call of my preflop reraise worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP said Villain was passive on the flop, or that's how I interpreted it at least. There's definitely room for debate as to the correct PF move... I do like a raise more after having read your posts, but I still prefer a call I think.

One point that Hero can take is that IF he raises, he should raise a lot more. That being said, I'm calling it a night.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:07 AM

lol
Old 10-28-2005, 02:09 AM

i'm firing any flop with a pot sized bet left.

is he really going to raise me on the flop with nothing hoping I reraised and bet the flop with nothing?

precisely because I'm out of position, I want to play fewer streets where positional advantage is minimalized.

smooth calling would be much better if you were in position.

tell me whether you reraise KK here and the reasons why you reraise.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:19 AM

I re-raise KK here because:
1)I am very likely to have the best hand preflop and I want more money in the pot.
2)I raise to thin the field. I don't want to play KK in a multi-way pot.

With AQ I can't guarantee that I have the best hand. One of my opponents may very well have a pocket pair. In fact I will say it is highly likely that either the CO or button (most likely the button) has a PP in this situation. I am not re-raising KK to get rid of a positional disadvantage preflop. I don't much care with the 2nd best possible starting hand. An ace only flops about 17% of the time. Granted there are certainly many other bad flops but I am willing to live with that. I am certainly not raising KK to get rid of a posisional disadvantage and win the hand preflop. I am begging for a call. I like a re-raise preflop with AQ against only one player. Against 2 in a cash game I think this is a bad play. As I noted earlier, in a tournament this is a great spot for a re-raise (granted it's not the early levels of blinds). In a tournnament you are under much greater pressure to accumulate chips. This pressure is not present in a cash game. You can play whatever way you like.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:29 AM

I'll sum up my argument like this.

when I smoothcall preflop, I win a small pot or lose a big one and the times I win a small pot doesn't happen very often because I have to flop a pair.

when I reraise preflop, I win a medium sized pot very very often. When I reraise, I force villain to flop a hand that beats overpair, when I smoothcall, I have to check fold most flops. In addition, it increases my preflop reraise frequency which forces villain to either cut down on his preflop raises or possibly make a mistake and 3 bet push with a mediocre hand later on and get stacked by my monsters.