Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: buying a pool table

[ QUOTE ]
do you think owning a 9 will make it harder to resell?

[/ QUOTE ]
No experience here, but I would guess it's always hard to sell a large, expensive piece of furniture.
[ QUOTE ]
also, if you were shopping for a table, how would you judge its quality? just hit a few balls? what should i be looking for?

[/ QUOTE ]
Roll a ball slowly down each side of the table, lengthwise & widthwise. Watch what the ball does - does it hit a seam in the slate and jump? Does it roll off toward another side of the table? It probably won't be perfectly level, but you're looking for major defects. Do the rails make a consistent sound when the ball hits? If the ball jumps after it hits a rail, that's a sign of a bad cushion. The cushion should feel uniformly firm to the touch - same resistance to pressing on it gently - all the way around the table.
[ QUOTE ]
and what's the standard surface?

[/ QUOTE ]
Usually at least 1" slate. Most 9' tables have a 3 piece slate. This will have to come apart to bring it into your basement. Putting a pool table together isn't necessarily a job for an amateur. Someone else may want to address this.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: buying a pool table

[ QUOTE ]
I think there is a considerable difference between and 8 & a 9. Check out a pool hall that has both sizes and hit the same 3 rail shot around the table from the corner aiming at the second diamond. The difference may seem larger or smaller depending on rails, cloth, table conditions.

9 ft is regulation size and what the pros play on. I would rather go without than have an 8. If you are only knocking around the balls for fun & it doesn't matter to you, then go for the 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, if you are good enough to make this distinction, you should be prepared to spend more than 700. In the local dealership here, a new 9' Brunswick easily costs 7k+; so for something used you might be looking at something like this (note that this table the rails need to be reglued and the table refelted)

Finally, if nothing else, GET IT PROFESSIONALLY ASSEMBLED. this will probably have as great, if not a greater, impact on your ability to enjoy the table as the table itself.