Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: ****THE Official ALCS CHISOX vs. LAA Thread****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean it was not even close, the guy caught it end of story.

[/ QUOTE ]
At least a handful of people on this board saw it differently. I don't think you can say it wasn't close. Your boy should have put on the tag, like the guy he replaced would have, and the guy he should have tagged would have. End of story.

[/ QUOTE ]
Arguing over judgement calls is pointless. The issue isn't whether the ball hit the dirt or didn't hit the dirt, or whether the catcher should've made the tag/throw because it was close and could've gone either way. Those are judgement calls, and there are usually more than one during the course of a game that are questionable. But that's the way baseball is and there's nothing you can do about it besides put it behind you or whine like a whiner. The issue is that the Home Plate Umpire called the batter/runner out, thereby signaling to LA that the inning was over and it was okay to vacate the field, and then after the batter/runner was on first base changing his mind. That is absolutely inexcusable.

GoT
Old 10-13-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How on earth can you hate the Angels?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you lived in LA you would too. It's not so much the team as it is the absolutely ridiculously dumbass "fans".

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]\

blow me.

Go Angels! Dodgers suck.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:23 AM

"How can we see something that didn't happen? Just not possible. We all agree that the catcher caught it. We all saw that. But those of us lucky enough, also saw it hit dirt first. Otherwise we wouldn't say so."

Congratulations. You broke my record.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The issue is that the Home Plate Umpire called the batter/runner out,

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't call anything. He made a signal which is commonly interpreted to mean out but which he says means strike three. He said in the press conference that this is the way he always signal strike three in the dirt. He says he never said "out" and Pierzynski never heard the ump say "out", that's why he ran.

[ QUOTE ]
thereby signaling to LA that the inning was over and it was okay to vacate the field,

[/ QUOTE ]

Josh Paul could not have seen the ump's signal so he should have listened for the "out" call, which the two other people directly involved with the play say was never made. Josh Paul made a mistake

[ QUOTE ]
and then after the batter/runner was on first base changing his mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This clearly isn't the case.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

he does have a point in that the ump made the out sign with his fist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point Voltron. Now here is something yet to be introduced in the thread.

ESPN showed a replay later on of highlights. In the top of the 6th inning Molina struck out on a dropped 3rd strike. Umpire pointed to the dugout, Molina is THEN tagged and THEN the umpire made the fist and rung him up. He was not delaying the fist, he did only when the tag was made on Molina. We are talking about the same fist he made BEFORE Paul through the ball to the mound. Nobody has brought this up and this and only this is an extremely valid point that Scioscia was arguing in the 9th.

Absolute travesty this happened.

Remember when Robinson checked Donnely for the pinetar? Scioscia then had the Nationals pitcher checked the next half inning. I wouldnt be surprised and HOPE Scioscia tells the first 3 guys that strike out to just go run to first base anyway.

To the poster who said the guy who does it would get drilled for showing up the other team,,he is showing up the umpires not the Sox.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:13 AM

i didnt see the game so i have no context on the umps motions.

what i will say is this:

1. the ball hit the ground

2. the catcher should have tagged him since it was very doubtful at best that he caught it, given the circumstace (ALCS)

3. the ump gave the fist pump, which means out.

4. number 3 just screws everything up
Old 10-13-2005, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Home plate ump raises his right hand to signify strike, then raises his right arm to signify the hitter/runner is out. You CANNOT expect the defense to not be trotting off the field after you call the batter/runner out, and you absolutely CANNOT give him that base, regardless of whether the ball hit the dirt or not. Horrible, horible, horrible.

That said, I'm really glad the White Sox won. [censored] the Angels.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

How on earth can you hate the Angels?

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you not?
Old 10-13-2005, 05:22 AM

The ball did not hit the ground, are the people claiming this even debating honestly on that point? I don't think so.

The ump made his motion to indicate a strike. He had made it through out the whole game. The hand up indicates miss, the fist means strike. I"m not sure how he indicates out.

He did make the same strike call he'd been making call game. It was not as many are claiming an arm up to indicate strike and a fist to indicate out.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thereby signaling to LA that the inning was over and it was okay to vacate the field,

[/ QUOTE ]

Josh Paul could not have seen the ump's signal so he should have listened for the "out" call, which the two other people directly involved with the play say was never made. Josh Paul made a mistake

[/ QUOTE ]
Why isn't anybody mentioning that Josh Paul actually rolled the ball out to the mound before the umpire made any motion at all? He gets up and rolls the ball up, and the ump makes what he claims to be a strike call. So Paul doesn't here him say out, and doesn't see him signal out. He just makes an assumption. The blame falls mostly on him.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The ball did not hit the ground, are the people claiming this even debating honestly on that point? I don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

FOX showed a zoomed in slow-mo replay and it left no doubt in my mind that the catcher trapped the ball.

No dirt flew up because the glove instantly smothered it. But I CLEARLY saw the ball change direction.

I'm sorry many people on here weren't capable of seeing this obvious change-in-direction. Those of us on here that have that apparently super power are responsible for clarifying this to those of us that don't.