Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2004, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Can I call this on the flop?

[ QUOTE ]

From CO you pay 1 SB to see 6 hands.
From BB you pay 1 SB + .5 SB to see 10 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Or more specifically, in the CO you pay one SB to see 6 hands (assuming a full table) and in the BB you pay one SB to see 6.67 hands (assuming the same full table).

However, hands are not just hands. You also have to take into consideration position. This small difference (6 vs 6.67) is probably compensated for by the average position you get from playing the CO.

Assuming positional advantage where SB=1 and Button=10, the average advantage of playing the CO is 6, and for the BB is 5.5.

Looks like this is toss up.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:56 PM

You can't call mainly because of the presence of the 10...do you see why?

Man, I love saying do you see why. I feel like Sklansky!
Old 06-27-2004, 10:14 PM

Post UTG and then raise any two cards. Does wonders for your table image. GAMB0000000000000LLL!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2004, 10:20 PM

Depends on the table size.

At a 10-person table, posting in the CO gives you:
* you see 7 hands for 1 SB
* you have position over posting in EP or MP
* you'll get your BB special with position

From the BB:
* 10 hands for 1.5 SB, or 6.67 hands / SB
* you'll get the button in a couple hands

I'll do either one, they're so close. I won't post anywhere else. At micro limits, I might post at CO at a 9-person table cuz it's not that much of an edge, it's cheap (25c), and I don't plan on carrying the habit to 15-30 shorthanded games. It might hurt my winrate a tiny smidgeon, but so what? I'm not playing microlimits to pay the rent.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:24 PM

Hi all. First post here. I love reading these forums and have learned a lot, just from reading.

Hypothetical question about this hand: If he held 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] instead, would it be worth it to call one small bet on the flop? He'd have a gutshot and a backdoor flush draw. This is a situation I seem to find myself in now and then, and often I end up chasing it.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:30 PM

I call in that case. Hero *almost* has the odds to call anyway. Having a backdoor draw doesn't add much, but IMO it tips the scale here.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:32 PM

I probably should be waiting till the blinds everytime to post, but sometimes I'm just not that patient. Maybe I'm giving up a bit by posting in the cutoff, but that's alright - I want to PLAY CARDS AND GAMBOOOOOOL!
Old 06-28-2004, 12:15 AM

If you are a winning player posting in the CO is more than fine, even MP3 is probably okay, as it is to your advantage to sit at the table and play as many hands as possible.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:58 AM

Is it because I might not be drawing to the nuts?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:04 AM

To put the math another way:

If you post in the BB you are going to pay 1.5 small bets to see 10 hands. Thats .15 small bets per hand.

In the Co you are going to pay one small bet to see seven hands (yes seven, not six in a full handed game). Thats a hair over .14 small bets per hand. Plus you have position.

Seems to me that posting there is a no brainer, but I have no problem with people who wait for the BB, since it's not a tremendous advantage.

Also, if I had noted before sitting down that it was a pretty aggressive table with a lot of Pre-flop raising I might not post in the Co, although I don't know if that's the right way to go or not...

Now if you're willing to post in the Co in the nine handed game, then that's the same from a small bet per hand perspective as posting in the Mp3 (Co-1). You see six hands for your small bet or .16666666 small bets per hand. Still not a terrible decision from a financial point of view. Of course your position gets worse in Co-1. I tend to do it if its a juicy game and I want to hurry up and get to it before the thing dries up any.

--Zetack