Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 02:48 PM

Default Re: When to take slowplaying risks?

Hi,

He called 1/3 of his stack off. If he has just a flush draw he's very bad and very lucky.

Since this is Heads up, bet weakly into this pot or go for the check-raise to get the most out of him, but you CANT fold this even if a spade comes on the turn.

I personally would bet exactly what he has left to make it look like I was trying to bully him with Ace high or very weak hand and hope he got enough of this flop to call.

MarkV.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:35 PM

To expand on this, this flop puts a lot of draws out there, flushes, straights, plus someone might make a better 2 pair. Even if you put your opponent on a drawing hand, you don't know which draw he has, so you can't let yourself get scared by a card that potentially completes a draw. Your hand is too good for that. You have to keep playing, and if he has it, he has it.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:45 PM

Two pair against one opponent that I have covered is a good enough hand that I’m going to the river on this flop.

You are very likely ahead, the only question is how to get the most money in the pot.

I would probably bet $T1400 into the $3000 pot. That does three things: 1) lets him think he might be able to push me out of the pot by going all-in with QQ, Ace high or 3rd pair, 2) lets him call with a flush or straight draw at bad odds ($ at 3:1 vs. chance to hit of 4:1),
Betting the exact amount to put him all in is fine for the reverse psychology element, but you can accomplish the same thing and entice even more hands in with a partial pot bet.
Of course I push on turn.

And on the flush, random chances of one player getting two suited cards is 25%, chances that its spades is ~6%. Since he called we can assume real likelihood is higher, but you are still talking about pretty big odds against a flush draw. It’s much more likely he had a middle pocket pair, or high Ace.

--Greg
Old 06-22-2004, 05:59 PM

You are in the driver's seat with such a large chip advantage over the opponent. He is likely to be desperate to win this pot and unlikely to have a flush draw so I would check all the way here and hope he takes a shot at it. Heck even if his bet is not a bluff it likely means he has AK and he is still nearly dead.

-Mack
Old 06-22-2004, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember the pot is 3,750 and his stack remaining is around 3,500. Any bet near 3,000 is basically forcing him all in.

I'm curious if psychologically there is any difference between putting up a 2k bet, 3k bet, pot sized bet or just pushing all in when they have basically the same net effect of the other person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh...just realized he has 3.5k left, not 5k....in that case, I would make about a T2000 bet and hope he pushes.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:25 PM

I would say: when to take risks slow playing is when there are no obvious draws on the board. Giving an opponent free draws in never good.

If you wanted to coast into the money, is raising with KJ from middle position smart?