Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: When to quit

All you can do is make correct plays. Don't underestimate how much of this game is luck... and EXPERIENCE.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:03 PM

I really appreciate all the advice. I think I wrote that post more out of frustration than anything. I did say I was a good player, but I probably should have said I am a good player compared to the folks that play on party at the NL .5/1 and at the $10 sng. These are the limits I am playing at now that my bankroll has dropped. I only played the 50 sngs when I got the 1500 area and thought that they were just as easy to beat if not easier than the 10 dollar sng. I think my biggest flaw is keeping my mouth shut. I hate when I lose and I usually bash the person who took me out. This just seems to get me into more bad beats. My anger is a problem and I swear it gives me bad karma.

Anyways..I obviously would not have written anything if I had just come off a winning session. I always feel very confident everytime I play. Basically I am an idiot and want to win everytime.

Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think my biggest flaw is keeping my mouth shut. I hate when I lose and I usually bash the person who took me out. This just seems to get me into more bad beats. My anger is a problem and I swear it gives me bad karma.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's called being on tilt and you've probably just identified your biggest leak. (Surely you're familiar with the term?)

If you loose your temper when you take a bad beat, leave the table(s) immediately, logout, and don't play any more for at least several hours if not the rest of the day.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ASDF dropped what was it, 2 or 3 racks last night???

[/ QUOTE ]

2.4 racks. The best part was when 42o caught 2 pair on the turn. Well, maybe it was the J7 calling along with bottom pair and hit trips on the river. Or maybe it was the multiple times I had KK or AA with 20+ bets in preflop and lost ALL of them. Then again, the gigantic ass calling my raise with 62o then calling down with bottom pair was pretty good too...
Old 06-19-2004, 02:30 PM

Only the .4 racks can be attributed to tilt, by the way.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:32 PM

This is a great post overall, I think its important to realize why you play...and to realize that 90% favorite means you take a bad beat 10% of the time. I got really pissed when I got sucked out last night, and it was very very bad form. should have read this post first.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:29 PM

Sounds like your emotions are definitely going into your game, undoubtedly not for the better. There's no way you're at your best that way, and poker is a game you really should play at your best -- it is real money, after all. It's like -- would you try for the olympic gold with a hangover?

You ran your $100 into 2400 so quickly it's like a miracle, so I think you need to be sure your expectations for the future are realistic. Not only will you have extended bad luck sometimes, but even your good luck is unlikely to be as good as what you have experienced. The one big bet per hour standard that people talk about seems to be a good one to me. At your bankroll and level of experience, that won't be much money per hour. Unless you're playing at games too big for your bankroll.

Basically, it sounds like you may be setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect too much luck or just too much reward for good play. Poker is a slow process, and with a small bankroll, even slower. It's a grind, especially when you factor in the losing sessions.

Basically, you have to set up the conditions for yourself to be happy. That's up to you. Or -- you'll make yourself miserable. That includes patience and an ego that knows you're going to lose and lose badly sometimes, and that can pull you up and make you play with a good attitude anyway. If you can only keep your temper or have a positive attitude when you're winning, poker's not your game. Heck, maybe nothing's your game?

Because losing IS part of the game, even for the best players in the world.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:25 PM

your posts indicate to me that you are probably not playing a winning game....and clearly you are extremely prone to tilt.

if you are losing and can't figure out why it is more likely attributable to leaks than it is to bad luck....although unlucky runs do happen.

i seriously wonder about someone who insists they are a winning player in one sentence and then talks about cussing out the suck-out artists in another.

on some of your iffy-er calls did you post the hand-history in the NL or SNG forum to see what others thought about the play??
there are some really good players around here who can help you analyze a hand that you previously thought you had played perfectly.

some of your beats may not have been as bad as you thought.