Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2004, 04:04 PM

Default Re: I\'m ready

I would start at a lower limit if you only want to buy in for $200. You can loose that pretty quickly at 1/2.

Play one table at a time. You can't play multiple tables until you have automatized many of your decisions.

Play on Party and use Pokertracker. Make sure you are playing properly pre-flop and are adjusting for position. Rarely cold-call raises pre-flop.

Don't assume that your opponents play the way you do. Don't assume that they must have a good hand or a good draw to call your bets.

Have some humility and realize that it takes a while to play well - especially post flop. After a while you will think you are really good. Later you will laugh at how bad you were when you thought you were really good. Later still you will realize how bad you are even though you've won tons of money.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:19 PM

Drawing from my own experience, I made the jump between a couple of regular home games and Party Poker in the beginning of January with a lowly $75 bankroll. Like most readers here I’ve read the books and also know the math. Almost immediately I saw that starting with just one or two tables at .5/1 and really paying attention to the average Party Player will go a long way. If you have the knowledge of starting hands, pot odds, and basic strategy you claim to have you should be crushing these games in no time. Personally, I've had good results with this more disciplined approach. Since that time in Jan I'm plus 550 BB in .5/1 and plus 125 BB in 1/2. Set goals for yourself and stick to them. I jump between games at 300 BB. It seems to me that the experience associated with +300 BB builds both the understanding and the bankroll to move forward with success. Also, as a note, midway through this process I invested about $100 into 2/4 and realized the hard way that my bankroll was not yet near ready to take on the normal swings in these bigger (but still small) games. Patience is everything. Also, someone said that Poker Tracker is a must and I couldn't agree more. The new advanced player notes export feature is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Best $40 (now $55) I ever spent.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:38 PM

As for the multi-tabling, I would deffinately say not to do it yet. This is solely from my own (very recent) experience. I was up 230BB yesterday from playing single tables for about 2-3 months. I tried multi-tabling yesterday and this morning and I lost 50BB. I was playing the same way I do at the single tables (as far as I could tell). I was tight in my starting hand selection based on position, and I was aggressive in my betting when I had TPGK, OESD, or 4 to the flush. I missed 99% of my flops and or draws, and it went FAST. I personally am not ready for this kind of variance, so I'm back to single tables until I at least hit my 300BB goal. I've heard some say here that if you're going to play two or more tables, your bankroll has to be ready for it. I believe this now [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2004, 04:51 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

So you got unlucky. If you had sat there and played those hands out one table at a time, you would've lost almost the exact same amount of money. Sure, the money goes faster, but if you're a decent player, it's the only way to build up money at .50/1.00.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:58 PM

I actully believe you there. I honestly don't think I played poorly (or at last not THAT poorly). It's more a personal decision. I really want to get to that 300BB goal and I've been getting there (albeit slowly). I do think I could do well at 2 or 3 tables, but I want to have the bankroll to absorb the kind of swings you can take from doing so.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:22 PM

Hey Maxpower:

[ QUOTE ]
Have some humility and realize that it takes a while to play well - especially post flop. After a while you will think you are really good. Later you will laugh at how bad you were when you thought you were really good. Later still you will realize how bad you are even though you've won tons of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are so right. Everytime I think I am getting good, I realize just how bad I really am.

--Rico
Old 03-18-2004, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Maxpower:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are so right. Everytime I think I am getting good, I realize just how bad I really am.

--Rico

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. i think every solid player goes through this over and over.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Later still you will realize how bad you are even though you've won tons of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

And other times you play brilliantly and still lose a ton of money.

Be prepared for that 100 BB downswing. It will happen.

Jim
Old 03-18-2004, 07:11 PM

I got around this by no longer believing that I'm good. Especially after reading the Mid/High Stakes forum.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:15 PM

I think Party still has a 20% up to $100 bonus for first time buy-ins. Assuming they do, I would by in the maximum bonus amount that you can and play at the smallest stakes.

There's an old arbitrage pricing maxim in finance that $20 bills are not found on the street. Party's offering 100 BBs to start so take as much as you can.