Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2003, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Top pair vs PF raiser

Maybe it's just me, but it's the turn decision I find most interesting...

The button, who we're calling a good player, raised PF, raise the flop bet and is now raising the turn bet. Is no one tempted to give credit here and lay it down?
Old 12-15-2003, 05:12 PM

Even if you do give him credit for an overpair here, you have 5 outs to improve and have the odds to do so.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he changed it on me or I read it wrong. I thought it was T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I didn't change it. I'm not that tricky! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Even still though, in this position, I fold. CO or Button, I will limp if the odds are right.

[/ QUOTE ]

The table was loose-passive, with very little preflop raising. Based on past hands, I expected to have at least four if not five others in the pot with me. Had the button just limped, the blinds would have completed/checked and I would feel OK about my T9s.

Basically, with the right table conditions I'll play T9s from MP, but I caught a bad situation this time. If you feel like that's a big leak in my game, let me have it so that I can improve. T9o is a fold for me from almost any position.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:27 PM

If you always fold T9s in a loose passive game in MP after limpers, you are playing WAY too tight.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you always fold T9s in a loose passive game in MP after limpers, you are playing WAY too tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean T9o? Because as I said T9s in MP is table-dependent for me. In a loose-passive table I'll play T9s frequently from MP or later, but not every time.

T9o is a fold for me from every position except the blinds w/o a raise. Now that may be too tight... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2003, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The button, who we're calling a good player...

[/ QUOTE ]

By "good player" I mean that he (1) was properly selective in the hands he played, (2) raised his good hands pre-flop, and (3) played aggressively post-flop.

It's that number 3 that made me reluctant to let go here. I did read him as the type of player to raise his overcard draw. What frustrates me is that I didn't charge him more for it. At a minimum I think I should have 3-bet the flop. The reason I didn't is because I felt like he would cap it whether he had the goods or not, so I didn't think I would get any good information from the 3 bet.

Now, whether his action represents a "good play" of AK on that board, I don't know. It is certainly much more aggressive than I would play it. If I have the pot odds to chase my overcard outs, I'll call it to the river and then fold if unimproved. And that's only if I think TP will take the pot. I'm probably playing that wrong too. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2003, 06:04 PM

I've been playing alot less hands lately, and as soon as I saw MP and T9s...I thought muck. Hands like this tend to get you into more trouble than its worth in playing it IMO. Alot out there that can beat you, especially in loose passive games with alot of calling stations.

I like easy decisions and laying down T9s is alot easier than playing a pair of Ts with a weak kicker and a small improvement percentage.

Although I think the PF Raiser played AKs aggressively...I think he was also committed to the hand and wanted to force you out. An A or K falls, and he knows he has it won. Perhaps he had a read on you and was thinking how you might act. If he backed down, he was giving up a possibly won pot...possibly (in the mind of an aggressive player). He also has alot more outs than you do, and probably feels between the nut flush draw and top pair falling...it's worth the aggression.

Just my .02