Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2003, 01:53 PM

Default Re: haven\'t posted in a while. online hand.

[ QUOTE ]
raising when the king drops, with position, ensures that i can fold without reservation to a 3bet

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd think that with decent, thinking opponents. But you already figure these guys will call 2 cold on the turn with just a small piece. If they are so bad of players what do they need to 3 bet the turn with?

What do you put the limper on anyway? He bet the flop. Did the K help him? Can he really beat QQ? With your decription of these players it sounds hard to put this guy on anything?

With this kind of opponent I'd rather take charge earlier and then slow down if he gets real aggressive and depending on just how far he goes with crap which hopefully I have observed in previous hands.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:02 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
You'd think that with decent, thinking opponents. But you already figure these guys will call 2 cold on the turn with just a small piece. If they are so bad of players what do they need to 3 bet the turn with?

[/ QUOTE ]
this is the difference between loose-passive and loose-aggressive play.

i didn't put either of them on anything until the blind 3bet.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:22 PM

There may be only six overcards that can harm you, but there may be a bunch of undercards that can harm you too. I prefer to raise the flop. Now if a king (or ace) comes, they might check to me and I have the option of betting or taking a free card.

I'd be more inclined to consider a call on the flop with pocket kings or aces.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:44 AM

hi astro
it's not bad astro. there is the option of calling and calling the check-raise. the thinking here is that this gives you an opportunity to show grit. this may sound a little bizarre, but this is precisely the type of hand that has slightly less than fair chances of being in the lead when check-raised against, so is in a negative situation on paper, but actually has good implied value when shown down against a stronger hand in this type situation when the pair of K's is so likely. after your opponent shows down his K pair, in retrospect it seems so obvious given the check-raise. that factor,as the table settles in for the next hand and considers what just took place in this hand, works very much to your advantage because they will not take shots at you in later hands. so the combined possibility of being ahead AND stopping shots from being taken make calling in this situation the correct choice followed by calling the check-raise. in other words, you should welcome these type of calling opportunities in this specific situation and not raise yourself out of them. another would be TT with a J on board against 2 opponents but not 99 with a T on board because now an over-pair is too likely. also watch out for JJ with a Q on. you don't like showing grit here because the Q or over-pair is too likely.