Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2003, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Another No Limit Drawing Question

I'm going to go ahead here and speculate that the rush of "easy call" replies came from players with profiles similar to limon, whose posts (which I love) usually reflect the best way to play in a much larger live game with rational opponents.

As someone who has spent a lot of hours playing at the tables in question (a tiny UB NL game), I can tell you that players don't play in ways that make sense. But they do follow some patterns. A lot of players at such tables will push a 3-10 high flopped flush into a tiny pot hoping to "protect their hand." Don't ask me why. Sure, sometimes a set, two pair, or the naked Ace [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is doing the pushing. But often you're looking at a slightly higher flush.

If you've never played at these tables, you can't fathom how poorly the average player plays. If you plan on spending another few hundred hands at the table, you will likely be presented with a number of opportunities to get your stack in as a MUCH bigger favorite. Why get your money in a situation where you're either a moderate favorite or massive dog?

scrub
Old 10-04-2003, 04:35 PM

K,x Q,x 7,x were x is a spade.
AK
QK
K7
Q7
QQ
KK

X,x were Xs are spades.

That's a lot of combination math. Which i'm not going to do since it shows the amount of hands which are all worth making a bet like this here. Even if the player doesn't think and just pushes in with the flush. That would apply to lower sakes.

In your case, at higher stakes we could even discount a percentage off him having the flush due to the way he played it. In this case we'll give him the idiot benefit and say we can't.

If you are bore while reading this run the combinations of each and then the EV.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:11 PM

what was the BB? it makes a LITTLE bit of difference...

I would probably call him, figuring him to be on a draw, and me to be the favorite. The chance he flopped a bigger flush is fairly small.

al
Old 10-06-2003, 06:32 AM

You can't really answer this without knowing something about the game and/or opponent. If I knew nothing about him and I was adequately bankrolled for the game, I'd lean towards calling. In the small UB games I'd almost definitely call given the stupid things you see people do there, but you seem to have more experience of them than I do so you probably know better.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:59 PM

K,x Q,x 7,x were x is a spade.
AK
QK
K7
Q7
QQ
KK

Eliminate these, which will raise preflop: AK, QQ, KK
Eliminate these, which will fold preflop: K7, Q7, many of K,x Q,x 7,x were x is a spade.
Eliminate all the K,x Q,x 7,x were x is a spade if the x is not, specifically, Js or As, because I don't think that they would play this way.

And you are left with KQ, 77 and some of K,x Q,x 7,x were x is Js or As.

Add these which have our hero beat and would likely play this way.
5s6s
6s8s
8s9s
9sTs

And the call doesn't look so clear.

The question is, why did the hero call preflop with 3s4s?
Old 10-06-2003, 05:26 PM

The hero had just say down at the table and posted.

Blinds where 1-1

Old 10-06-2003, 06:14 PM

I'm totally confused. When did the money get in? You bet on the flop, is that right? How much? How much was in the pot when you bet? How much did the guy who raised you raise? Was he just raising you, or were there others he was raising?

Generally speaking, people will go all-in with just one spade on a draw, especially if they have something else to go with it (like another draw or a pair), so with an actual made flush you can call. Having a made flush come up against another made flush doesn't happen very often, so I'd bet against my opponent not having it unless I knew something about him. Besides, maybe he'll have a smaller flush. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]