Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: What is the Generally Acknowledge BB/hr Win Rate for Online Pros

I was going over my chart yesterday from the last year..

I had several breakeven streaks over 20k hands

I had several streaks of about 3bb/100 over 20k hands.

20k hands is peanuts.

At 100k hands you know your bb/100 +/- 1bb/100 with a 15 standard deviation
Old 10-28-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

20k hands is peanuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am assuming this is true for mid stakes, and high stakes, where the majority of the feild is average and above average skill. The run of cards is a big influence on your win rate.

But at 1/2 there is so much dead money that breaking even over a stint of 20k hands says alot more about skill then breaking even at 5/10. I don't think I've had runs were I break even, or lose for longer then 5k hands. I agree with everyone about the level of variance, and the importance of sample size, but these aspects become less and less of an issue as you drop in stakes. Mainly because the amount of dead money increases.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:14 AM

Running well feels good, doesn't it?

I agree with you on the breakeven thing at 1/2. This is why it's possible to run lifetime 3bb/100 at 1/2(I think) but not very possible at 10/20. Dead money counts for alot. But even at 1/2 and 2/4 you will hit stretches of breakeven over 15k-20k hands.

I promise.

The long run is 200k hands not 20k hands.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I've had runs were I break even, or lose for longer then 5k hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you are clearly running hot. I won ~3.1 BB/100 in ~40K hands of 1/2. And I had a streak of 10K hands where I was a net-even player due to a 200BB slide followed by the time required to get back to my previous high-water mark.

If you have never had a sustained losing run at 1/2, you just need to count your blessings. It will happen eventually...the dead money that you feed on will hit everything in sight for a while and send you backwards for what seems like eternity.

Acme
Old 10-28-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
these are just my PT stats. I Have been logging my hourly and hand rates manually since june. I have only been playing poker since March, and i just recently became aware of software like PT, and rake back, and bonus whoring. Like I said earlier I only just started interacting with the poker world(other than logging on to a poker site) recently. My rate is still close to 3bb/100 hands at 1/2. This is taking in close to 150k hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

for a good poker player, you have pretty bad money management and risk tolerance abilities.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:10 AM

One thing to keep in mind when reading about people's bb/100 winrates is that there are varying degrees of multitabling going on.

The guy who is playing 8 tables at a time is going to have a much lower bb/100 winrate than the guy playing only one table. I also think that those who play lots of tables at once greatly underestimate the amount of edge over others that they're losing by playing so many tables. They think they're only losing maybe .5 or 1BB/100, they're probably losing a lot more versus someone who only plays one table.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:19 AM

A break even player (after the rake but before bonuses + rakeback) should be able to make eongh to get by.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

for a good poker player, you have pretty bad money management and risk tolerance abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this and it is something that has bugged me for a while. There are 2 reasons I am still at 1/2 and 2/4. The biggest is that I have a 2 year old and a GF and poker is our main income, so I am approaching moving up with as much caution as possible. I had planned to move up to 3/6 at about this time but a) i withdrew a large sum from my account to take vacation in sept. and b)i can 10 table now so i'm getting use to the pace at 1/2(I was at 2/4 before the split).

This is the second reason I have not moved up. 9 tabling at 1/2 i can get between 8 and 10BB/hour, or 20 bucks an hour. If i were to jump to 3/6 I would probably have to 3 or 4 table to do well. I am guessing I would drop to 1.5 or 2BB/100.That is about the same hourly rate as i would have at 1/2, and I'm guessing variance at 1/2 is alot less noticable(again because of dead money).

My goal is to jump from 2/4 to 5/10 for this reason, but the bankroll differences are huge. If I was single it would be alot easier to do this. My risk tolerance would be much higher, and the majority of my profits would go back into my bankroll. Even then I feel like I am being overly cautious, and I understand that time waitng is money lost. I am planning to get a new setup by the end of november so I can jump to 2/4. And then hopefully it won't take long after that to build a bankroll for 5/10.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:47 PM

nice reply.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:01 PM

How the hell does a person 9 table on one monitor and play anything other then ABC poker? From my understanding of what I read here, you are going to get beat up pretty bad when you start moving up and all you know how to do is play top hands and auto bet till the river. Maybe its a bad assement though and you play great poker at 9 seperate overlapping tables.

Also, Scares me to think you are raising a family with your primary income coming from 1/2 poker.