Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: ok isolation raise?

[ QUOTE ]
Wow –

Most all like this raise. Interesting. There are going to be so many better spots to beat this player. As my sarcastic picture indicated, I think it’s a really really thin raise. I don’t understand why you want to isolate here with King High. If’s he’s loose passive, I’m going to expect a lot of calling on the flop and probably latter streets.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Youre points are valid, and I'm changing my line of thinking now since I missed one very obvious variable that you mentioned here. I said that the situation was perfect to go for an Iso play here, but if youre against the type of opponent who doesnt fold easily postflop it still may be better to call here and see the flop. And if Your opponent will fold easily postflop than this is a must raise given the description of the other players yet to act. I dont see how anyone can fold here given that your hand is likely so much better than your opponents. I am a tight player who only sees 15-18% of all flops, and i fold K9o about 99% of the time preflop, but im not folding it here, and i think no else should either. One other point, I have always felt that K high had a signicant amount of showdown value vs a very loose opponent. Anyone else agree or disagree?
Old 08-30-2005, 12:19 PM

It's fine. Marginal but fine.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:25 PM

I don't mind it.

But I would like it better if the villian were say 18/5/3 and had a high flop aggression rating with a Fold to flop bet percentage of +50%.

One thing to keep in mind here (and please don't mistake this for an argument against isolation raises). But making plays like this will increase your variance. Not maybe, but will . So when you decide to do something like this, be pretty sure of your opponent. Also realise, that the EV of a situation like this is not huge and can easily be negated by sub-optimal play.