Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: The Penalty for Terrorism in Israel:

Their Prime Minister was found to "bear personal responsibility" in the massacre of thousands of Palestinian civilians at Sabra and Shatilla by the Israeli Government itself. Sure didn't stop his promotions.
Palestinians murdered Lebanese Christians and the Lebanese Christians took revenge are Sabra and Shatilla. I guess the palestinians don't understand the concept of "cause and effect". [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Let me see if I understand the logic. If Lebanese Christians murder Palestinians, then.....IT MUST BE THE FAULT OF THE JEWS. Ahhhhhhh......now I understand. This sounds 'logical'. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 02:23 PM

Specially where the person misuses the powers of the position from which he is being promoted. This should be obvious to anyone, specially one with a military background.

That is only reasonable for military crimes that specifically disobey orders. In this case it is clear that while the commanding officer may have exceeded his moral imperative slightly, it should also be clear that there is an absolutely necessary grey area here.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In this case it is clear that while the commanding officer may have exceeded his moral imperative slightly, it should also be clear that there is an absolutely necessary grey area here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slightly?

Really, I wonder what it would take for you to say he exceeded it without a qualifier!

Also, just having a grey area should be fine for holding back a promotion. Are you telling me that there are not enough clean officers in the Israeli forces that could be promoted other than this slight exceeder of moral imperatives?

Oops, perhaps there are not any clean officers left!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:33 PM

Really, I wonder what it would take for you to say he exceeded it without a qualifier!

Do you really think excessive covering fire is such a heinous crime?

If he had murdered someone in cold blood I could see your point. If he had disobeyed orders that lead to the deaths of his soldiers or the failure of a mission, then yes.

Youre applying civilian peacetime rules and ethics to war zones.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Dodging the bullets again.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think excessive covering fire is such a heinous crime?

[/ QUOTE ]

You were the one who said he exceeded his moral imperatives and added the word slightly.

I conclude from the fact that you offered this non-sequiter post that infact the Israeli forces dont have officers that can be promoted because others have exceeded their moral imperatives more than just "slightly". They just picked the best of a bad lot.

[ QUOTE ]
Youre applying civilian peacetime rules and ethics to war zones.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you applied the rules and agreed that he was at least a "slightly" bad apple.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Dodging the bullets again.

[ QUOTE ]
They just picked the best of a bad lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you would argue this because you love to find fault in the Jews. On what planet is strict adherence to the rules the only criterion for promotion?

God I hope you are never put in charge of anyone's safety.

Is it not possible that he's a strong leader, a brilliant tactician, and a brave soldier, who bent the rules slightly in one case?

Oh, wait, that's likely exactly what happened.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course you would argue this because you love to find fault in the Jews.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you did all the arguing for me about promoting slightly bad officers.

I am still looking to find out if there are any officers in the Israeli forces that are better that slightly bad -- and why they could not have been promoted instead. Given the non-responsive posts, I have to assume that slightly bad is good enough for promotions as there are no good apples.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Sharon, war criminal

[ QUOTE ]
Palestinians murdered Lebanese Christians and the Lebanese Christians took revenge are Sabra and Shatilla.

[/ QUOTE ]
The above comment shows ignorance of the historical facts, as outlined by both sides in the Lebanese civil war, practically!

Briefly, for the ultra slow in learning : Sometime during the Lebanese civil war of the 1970-80s, a group of PLO men, a faction in the Leftist/Pan-Arab/Muslim/Palestinian majority opposing the Christian/Right-wing/Fascist alliance, assassinated the son of the leader of the Lebanese organisation, the Phalange, a certain Genayel. This was part of the war -- an ugly part, for sure, but asssassinations such that one were routine in the Lebanon war.

After months of fighting, and the Israeli invasion, we had the negotiations for a cease fire and a settlement -- a settlement that involved, by the way, a Syrian military presence in Lebanon, condoned (if not welcomed) by Israel.

The Palestinians agreed to evacuate most of their fighting units out of Beirut, and also leave behind their heavy weapons. Part of the deal was that the Israelis and the Lebanese guaranteed the safety of the women, children and old men, left behind by the Palestinians.

The rest is history: As soon as, in strict compliance with the agreement, the Palestinians left, the Israelis orchestrated the massacre of the Palestinian civilians in the two refugee camps of Sabra and Chatila. The knives and the guns were Phalangist but the directions were Ariel Sharon's.

...A "funny" reminder : Israel allied itself with the neo-fascists and ardent admirers of Hitler, the Lebaneses Phalange! As I said before, the bones of the victims of the Holocaust are surely turning in the mass graves.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:06 PM

I am still looking to find out if there are any officers in the Israeli forces that are better that slightly bad -- and why they could not have been promoted instead. Given the non-responsive posts, I have to assume that slightly bad is good enough for promotions as there are no good apples.

Of course. Following your logic, Michael Jordan has a bad game in the NBA finals and is immediately refused any chance at MVP, because there must be someone better.