Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Re: KJ on bubble. Is this a push?

this is a pretty easy fold
Old 07-14-2005, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many hands until the blinds go up? I'm not nearly as good as the amazing posters are on here, and I'm still learning lots about FE and EV but I have a good idea how to play. If it's in mid round or early round, I think I fold. You have an extremely short stack and the button coming up. If you get called, you're done.

Love to hear what the experts have to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I should clarify so I don't look like a jackass. By, "You have an extreme short stack," I didn't mean you, but the BB in the hand.

So you have a chance that the BB loses, AND you have the button coming up.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:52 AM

make it 480?
Old 07-14-2005, 07:52 AM

No, making it 480 is beyond terrible, big stack just pushes 100% of the time if you do that (or he should, unless he's a total idiot), and you lose the chips.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:09 AM

at least 80% of the hands you would think about pushing here is a fold. This is just one of those time you play like a wimp and it is correct to do so.

Steve
Old 07-14-2005, 08:24 AM

Ignore SNGPT - ICM no good here since short stack is so small relative to BB and is currently in the BB.

I sure wouldn't push, however I wonder if a limp isn't a decent play here. The problem with folding is that you really don't want it to fold to the SB who decides he's going to put shorty allin with his T3o and double him up. And folds all around is also a bad result for you. You probably have the best hand out there so it seems wrong to me to let the BB off by folding it and giving him a better shot at surviving by not having to beat your hand.

If you limp the BB doesn't get a free ride, and you probably encourage one or both of the big stacks in to try to help beat him. The fact that you allow him to see a flop is irrelevant since he's calling allin to a raise anyway, and it's way better than giving him a walk. If one of the big stacks tries a move by pushing behind your limp, then thats fine. Either shorty calls and you can call also if you choose knowing that it's highly unlikely you'll finish 4th, or he folds and you can happily fold also knowing it only cost you 200 chips to cut him in half down to 1 BB, which I think is a very good deal for you, you've definitely increased your equity by doing so.

For the same reasons I don't think a min raise is as bad a play as has been suggested, but the limp is better because it hasn't affected your stack so much should a big stack force you out and then shorty proceeds to get lucky and hang on a bit longer.

Thoughts?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:33 AM

If you limp and I'm big stack, or SB, in this hand I'm pushing 100% of hands. And shorty, unless he's a complete moron, is folding 100% of hands bar AA once it happens, in the hope you get involved.

I just don't see the need to waste the 200 chips like that.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:37 AM

There is one other thing you're forgetting too, imagining that did all happen, the next hand you are on 1080 and he 280, you will have to call with any two to his push, and then you're about even stacks if his hand holds up.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ignore SNGPT - ICM no good here since short stack is so small relative to BB and is currently in the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
I call sehenanigans. With bno backsies. Or asafe szones. No reveraslas either.

Saying "ignore ICM since there's a small astack" is RETARDED. ICM takse intso account theas smalle astk. If you don't wknow that, read about ICM. Befor eyou amek retardedc omments.

[ QUOTE ]
I sure wouldn't push, however I wonder if a limp isn't a decent play here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep wodering. Casue a limp is HORRIBLE

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with folding is that you really don't want it to fold to the SB who decides he's going to put shorty allin with his T3o and double him up. And folds all around is also a bad result for you. You probably have the best hand out there so it seems wrong to me to let the BB off by folding it and giving him a better shot at surviving by not having to beat your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, aso maybe not a complete idiot. That's all valid. There's a good shot you avhea thea beast hand. Anda you'd prefer that someone else not todubel him up. The prboelm is, your'e very likely to be ast best a 60/40 favorite. Better soemrone else doubele him upat than mea, yeah? Lets them lose chisp. I'll save myine and wtf_opwne everyone on the next ocueple hands.

[ QUOTE ]
If you limp the BB doesn't get a free ride

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless he cliskes the "check" button. Iinstant free ride

[ QUOTE ]
and you probably encourage one or both of the big stacks in to try to help beat him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ot you encourange them to steal tyour [censored]. Seriously, if there's a small tsatck and soemone limps, I pusn with the quickness. "BIATCH, YOU CAN'T CALL, CAUS THERE's A SMALLIE. SHIP IT BATCH" For real, I've got as coueple greats expalenes from doatyday. Limping = chipc draing

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you allow him to see a flop is irrelevant since he's calling allin to a raise anyway, and it's way better than giving him a walk.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? Howas is giving someone a frees loooka t the flop "irrelevant"? It'sa anyting butn irrelevant. btw, when he clicks check, it is infa cact a "walk", so yovue' done nothing tohter than give him better pot odds.

[ QUOTE ]
If one of the big stacks tries a move by pushing behind your limp, then thats fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right, asue you fold.

Or not, apparently:

[ QUOTE ]
Either shorty calls and you can call also if you choose knowing that it's highly unlikely you'll finish 4th, or he folds and you can happily fold also knowing it only cost you 200 chips to cut him in half down to 1 BB, which I think is a very good deal for you, you've definitely increased your equity by doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]
Call if eh calls....fold if he folds. There must be someon logic I'm missing, btut hits seem,s earatraded. If he calls, you're not gonna bea fvery good favorite. At all. In fact thaer's a decent chance you're a dog. But if he folds...the you fold? Why, casue now you wkno the big stack has you beat?

No. If big tsack pushes, you have to fold, regardless of teh action. You can't risk your tourney with that smallie all-in with a hadns as weak as KJo, when one gusy has set you all-in, and antoher has agladyly aalled. This is just anti-tourney sthireoyr, and, put simply, is reatrded. This is why you don't adlimp in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]
For the same reasons I don't think a min raise is as bad a play as has been suggested, but the limp is better because it hasn't affected your stack so much should a big stack force you out and then shorty proceeds to get lucky and hang on a bit longer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. Not only do youa think a min-raise with 6 BB is a solid play, but you thiank a limp is BETTER?! Maybe if you got aces or kings. Thent rap. But wtf...making some kingd of bullshit trap play with KJo? That's a recipe for disaster.

I'm sorry I've been so harsh to your post, but it looks lieke incredibly horribel advice to me. Sseriously, even a durnik 19 year-old can ripf it aprart with absolteuyl not probelems at all. Cause its' truly hirrrobiel.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you limp and I'm big stack, or SB, in this hand I'm pushing 100% of hands. And shorty, unless he's a complete moron, is folding 100% of hands bar AA once it happens, in the hope you get involved.

I just don't see the need to waste the 200 chips like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Come on, read the post. I know there's a good chance that one of the big stacks pushes on you, and that shorty will then fold hoping you bust out. The point is this is not a problem. You're not the idiot shorty hopes you are, you fold, and you've just cut the 4th position guys stack in half at a cost to you of only 1/6th of your stack. The point being you haven't wasted 200 chips at all, you've used them to increase your equity, just in a non-standard way.

As for the following hand, yeah it's not great when he pushes on you, but even if you lose with the blinds as they are you are far from 'about even' with him, and this is assuming that both big stacks fold the following hand, which they won't if they pick up anything at all playable.

If you fold the KJ, two things can happen. The short stack gets raised, he'll call and double up a good proportion of those times, probably about 40%, which is very bad for you. Or he'll get a walk, again very bad - you're in a much worse spot if he pushes into you the following hand for 580 than if he did for 280.

I'm not saying this is clear cut, or even that I would limp here. Just think it's a plausible option, and from your response I don't think you've really thought through the reasoning for my argument.