Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: D\'Agostino\'s antics

Of course he doesnt he made a play. Im just empahzing the fact the he himself was not mad at John. He new how horrible john must have felt as everyone gets horrible beats. All im saying is if Hoyt himself was not upset why would you dislike john for one act in the heat of the moment. He acted stupid and immature yes but i suspect many people would have had likewas bad reactions from critizing him to other things.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:51 PM

The guy asked John to "PUSH" him the chips and by god thats what he did!
Old 07-05-2005, 12:52 PM

Also he called a small bet in relative to his stack with 10 10. 90% of us would have made that call. Everyyhing looks easy on TV when you see others cards if you dont know hwat someone else has and oyu look down at 10 10 its worth risking 5-10% if your chips easy decision on his part. And he had the short end of it. It could have just as easily been a coinflip. BTW i think matasaw would have punched him and then gone on to cry like he always does.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:56 PM

Hellmuth and Matusow get up and away from the table before they show their rage.

Hey everybody has a little rage in them.. Some people are born with it and can't control it at all.

People who get so worked up because somebody gets mad that they lost need to cool the hell down and pull the bowling ball out of their asses.

Some people are just born to handle it with class (Lederer, Ivey, Brunson), others just have different personalities (Hellmuth, Matusow).

I'm sure Hellmuth has worked on his rage since it is such a huge issue and obviously it hasn't worked! HE'S BORN THAT WAY! GET OVER IT!

Anybody who's met Phil can tell you he's an extremely nice person.. He's probably a much more nicer, and much more of a decent person outside the poker table than most of the guys with cooler temperments.

People who get worked up when Professionals show emotion at the table are at the top of my Dink List.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:03 PM

After they were done counting, like 3 times, Hoyt, in a very polite and quiet voice, said something like, "Can you push me those chips." Because he couldnt reach.

Dags had a meltdown. Give him a pass if you want but dont blame Hoyt.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:24 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not crucifying D'Agostino for it, but I don't think that Corkins can be blamed at all (for asking for the chips or whatever).

Now if Corkins had done a Mathias Anderson ("YAAAAAAAAH"), I wouldn't have had a problem at all with pushing the chips over.

In the case of Tony G and Surinder Sunar (Paris WPT) I would have liked to have seen Surinder knock him on his ass. I don't think Dags did the right thing, but I wouldn't put him in the douchebag category over one incident.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, Corkins is my hero for pushing from the SB there. He's got nothing to apologize for. That's poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

He went all in for like 20x the pot knowing that he's either going to win a small pot or be drawing very slim against an overpair in an enormous one. That's not a "play", that's suicidal.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He went all in for like 20x the pot knowing that he's either going to win a small pot or be drawing very slim against an overpair in an enormous one. That's not a "play", that's suicidal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure of this, but I don't think it was 20x pot. Either way, Corkins' style of play is to always put pressure on his opponents. If I recall correctly, he also put in a massive re-raise with KK against Ramdin's AK. Very different scenarios, I understand, but the point is that Corkins plays a very aggresive style and will put in a big raise with a monster as well as 78o.

Obviously it works very well for him, it was just bad luck that he ran into TT. Give him credit for having the stones to play the way he does.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously it works very well for him, it was just bad luck that he ran into TT. Give him credit for having the stones to play the way he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baloney. HUGE preflop overbet steals are bad, period. It's not an issue of "stones". Betting 650,000 to steal the blinds is garbage. Running into TT is not bad luck, in fact the precise reason this play is so bad is because the BB will occasionally have TT-AA and you will lose so much these times that you won't make up for it by successfully stealing the vast majority of the time. It just plain sucks, no matter of opinion.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:02 PM

I thought it sucked because of who he was doing it against. Had, say, Colon, the tight player who was also in that tourney, been in the BB, I like it.

However D'Ag had shown that he liked to see flops, he had no problem playing marginal hands with or without position and most importantly he made big calls with marginal hands!

Earlier in the tourney he raised with Nines (I think) and got not one but TWO all-in calls that he relatively quickly called. Knocked out two players with it too.

The fact is that with your tournament on the line, you will probably NOT look at Tens and feel that comfortable yet D'Ag called Hoty's all-in in a second.

It seemed obvious to me, as a viewer, that D'Ag would not need an amazing hand to put a lot of chips at risk. I don't see how it couldn't have been obvious to Corkins or anyone else at the table.