Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: \"Bandwagon Fans\"

[ QUOTE ]
I am probably accused of being a bandwagon fan more than any other person I've ever met, because I happen to be a Yankees fan and a Duke basketball fan. I've been called the same by many on these boards as well, despite the fact that I've been a fan of both teams for virtually my entire life.

I'm told you can't be a true Duke fan unless you attended the university, otherwise you are a bandwagon fan. I am told you can't be a true Yankees fan unless you grew up in New York, otherwise you are a bandwagon fan.

Despite all this, I contend that I am just as big if not a bigger fan of these two teams than anyone who roots for their university or home team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you a fan of these teams then?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many of you freaked out when you were a little kid when your favorite teams star answered a fan letter (Christian Laettner in my case)?

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHHAHHAHA. Sorry.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to ask yourself, what does it say about you if you're a Duke fan and a Yankee fan for no reason associated to geographic location, college attended, etc? That's even worse. What does it say about your aesthetic sensibilities, you know? Sheesh.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, when I was little I played baseball. Our little league team was undefeated and crushed one team 60-0 and could of crushed them even more if they didn't forfeit. Our team name was the Reds (just like Cincinnati reds). Ever since then, I've always been a big reds fan and I'm not even a big baseball fan. I don't think my reason for liking the reds is any less valid then many other peoples reasons for liking a team.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why are you a fan of these teams then?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've explained it many times before, but for the sake of this thread I shall explain once again.

Duke because my dad is a long time Duke fan so when I first really started following college basketball when I was like 6 Duke was all I saw, and they seemed to win a lot, and that Laettner guy was really good. I think the fact that Laettner answered a fan letter I wrote to him helped hook me too.

Yankees because when I was 4 the first tball team I played for was called the yankees. Plus I absolutely loved as a little kid reading about all the history that went along with the Yankees.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:48 PM

The problem is that you started liking the teams because they won. In particular these two teams have never been bad teams since you started liking them.

Despite what you say it's not the same. The Illini fans feel it more than you do. Why do I say this? Because you have never sat through a season where Duke was terrible. Suffering through these seasons is what makes one a true fan. I know what both sides are like. My mom is from the San Francisco area so I've always liked the Giants and 49ers (I did take a brief hiatus from the niners when they hired a coach I couldn't support) as well as the Blazers and University of Oregon. When I was growing up the 49ers were always good and I was always a huge fan (like you I got a letter back from my idol Joe Montana that was a highlight of my childhood). Obviously I was extremely happy when they won the Super Bowl. I can assure you though that these feelings completely paled in comparison to my ducks going to the Rose Bowl in 1994 and the Fiesta Bowl in 2001. The difference is that I had suffered through the lows with Oregon and with the niners there hadn't been any at the time - though the present is certainly a low point.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Eh, when I was little I played baseball. Our little league team was undefeated and crushed one team 60-0 and could of crushed them even more if they didn't forfeit. Our team name was the Reds (just like Cincinnati reds). Ever since then, I've always been a big reds fan and I'm not even a big baseball fan. I don't think my reason for liking the reds is any less valid then many other peoples reasons for liking a team.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow thats kinda funny that I have the same reason, maybe theres something about what the name of your baseball team's name is as a kid and what team you end up cheering for.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because you have never sat through a season where Duke was terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know much about Duke basketball history do you?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because you have never sat through a season where Duke was terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know much about Duke basketball history do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Weren't they pretty bad when Coach K almost died or had a breakdown or something?

Probably not as much as you.

I know they were terrible before coach K, when have they been terrible since the days of Hurley and Hill and Laetner (sp?)?

Lmao JDL.

The Yankees sucked throughout the 80s and into the mid 90s.

bad argument.