Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: More White House Torture

[ QUOTE ]
Done, I assume, to provoke emotional responses and needle people, but not in an instructive way

[/ QUOTE ]

In Politics? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

It couldn't happen! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Look the point is Im not really overly concerned about the civil rights of non citizens.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very telling quote from you, Zaxx. This is the same logic used to abuse illegal immigrants.

Non citizens have constitutional rights. The Constitution places no limits in this regard.

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to the moral and domestic US legal issues non-citizens are almost allways citizens somewhere else and most of us don't approve of them beeing tortured by forign nations.

Bad PR, bad for foreign relations and generally bad for buisness. Doing it to citizens of friendly or even allied countries is even more stupid. Just imagine the outrage if US citizens were held and tortured on corsica for instance.

/Bjorn
Old 03-07-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Bush in the state of the union: \"torture is never acceptable\"

bush is a liar.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:28 PM

Has any of the MSM covering this story mentioned that this policy was not initiated under Bush's adminstration, but under Clinton's?
Old 03-08-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is refreshing candor from a so-called conservative. The three accounts of torture in my post referred to innocent people being tortured and then released without charge. The authentic right-wing response is to applaud, to encourage the people doing it to "carry on" and even asking "can I buy videos of it happening?"

It's an example of what I keep saying about how contemporary conservatism is just a political manifiestation of psychopathology that's fostered and tolerated because it serves the interests of power. Rightists rhetoric about liberal ideals such as freedom, democracy and human rights is a trojan horse to legitimize the jucier prospect of burning children. The compulsion toward sexual sadism in this case might be more pronounced, but it's just a more explicit admission of a widespread American desire to torture and kill foreigners for its own sake, the psychological source of energy for so much of America's right wing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you have finally embraced your inner nutcase.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:19 AM

I thought Churchill was weak, very reticent, and Maher wasn't very good with him. But when they brought out the brother of the 9/11 victim, it was quite dramatic.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:29 AM

Yeah, this is pretty standard for White House business IMHO. Scares me half to death, but the info you get from this could be very, very effective.

High stakes here. I know the ends do justify the means, but boy.... As a non-citizen, I sure hope constitutional rights apply to me.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:33 AM

No one with a modicum of respect for human rights can really excuse this use of torture coming from our administration.

But...

[ QUOTE ]

It's an example of what I keep saying about how contemporary conservatism is just a political manifiestation of psychopathology that's fostered and tolerated because it serves the interests of power. Rightists rhetoric about liberal ideals such as freedom, democracy and human rights is a trojan horse to legitimize the jucier prospect of burning children. The compulsion toward sexual sadism in this case might be more pronounced, but it's just a more explicit admission of a widespread American desire to torture and kill foreigners for its own sake, the psychological source of energy for so much of America's right wing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, Chris, being able to read this kind of nonsensical rant almost makes it all worth it!

natedogg
Old 03-08-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chris is a master at coloring his posts and subtle at bias implications

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I masterfully colored my description by saying "innocent" instead of the clumsier "presumed innocent." After all, just because these people were released after torture, there's no basis for thinking them innocent. That sort of thinking reflects untoward "bias" against the entity responsible for the torturing.

What kind of people think like you? Stalinist apparatchiks? Vicarious sadists? Mental defectives? It's weird in America and getting worse.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is refreshing candor from a so-called conservative. The three accounts of torture in my post referred to innocent people being tortured and then released without charge. The authentic right-wing response is to applaud, to encourage the people doing it to "carry on" and even asking "can I buy videos of it happening?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you have finally embraced your inner nutcase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then so have I, because Chris's posts make a lot of sense to me.