Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Another faster link

Mnay would say pokertracker is still useful, and this thing definitely does not track everything pokertracker does (though it does track some things pokertracker does not)

Pokertracker will give you stats about your play like:

VP$IP
Agg Factor
% preflop raise
etc...

That is all good info and many rely on it.
Pokertracker is also good about updating and I would not be surprised if someone over there incorporates everything in this sheet eventually

That said, I don't use pokertracker anymore
Just too much of a hassle getting hand histories and I really think it's most useful for ring games, which are not useful when it comes to building my bankroll [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Regards
Brad S
Old 12-08-2004, 04:07 PM

Default Re: New Penultimate 2005 SNG Spreadsheet

Thanks for the great spreadsheet. It's a testament to your knowledge of Poker and Excel.

Zephyr
Old 12-08-2004, 06:09 PM

Brad,
This spreadsheet really does look good.... but.... can you point me in the direction of an easy to read/understand explanation of exactly what sd, sd/tourney, confidence, etc actually mean!!!
Thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 07:15 PM

They are statistical terms. SD is Standard Deviation and Confidence is short for Confidence level. These numbers change based on your sample size and results. Generally you want your SD to be small and your confidence level to be high. I will defer to a stat's expert to explain the definitions. Nice update, Brad!
G$
Old 12-08-2004, 07:46 PM

Aleo emailed me a copy and I made some mods. I just emailed it back to him. Hopefully he will foward it to the hosters and get it up on the web. It really needs to be field tested.

I made two modifications. First, I added support for exact time tracking of simultaneous tournies, so you can get an accurate $/hr figure.

The bigger change is a user interface. Each 'entry' page of the spreadsheet has a button that launches the UI. From there you can start and stop tournys, and add notes. It will automatically date/time -stamp the tourny and calculate the duration. While the tourny is running you can add notes/hand #s for that tourny. While the UI is running you can still manually access the spreadsheet, but you should refrain from adding tournies manually while it is running, as some data may end up on the wrong row.

It supports up to 8 simultaneous tournys. If someone need support for more, let me know. It shouldn't be too hard to add.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:23 PM

fantastic! two questions, though:

if I change the # of people to make the SNG 6-handed (I play on UB), is the ITM calulation based on the color of the "place" column (pink or green)? If so, how can I change the colors to represent 2 ITM places and not 3?

Basically, how can I make the best use of the spreadsheet for 6-handed SNGs that pay only 2 places?

Also, how do I use the bubble %+/- figure? What's a good %??

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2004, 11:30 PM

If you're talking about UIs, you must be doing some VB programming.

If that's the case, what do you think of the idea of parsing hand histories to populate the spreadsheet?

eastbay
Old 12-08-2004, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're talking about UIs, you must be doing some VB programming.

If that's the case, what do you think of the idea of parsing hand histories to populate the spreadsheet?

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's certainly possible. I'm not the most efficient programmer, but I suppose it would just be a matter of parsing text strings looking for patterns. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much more time I'll be able to spend on poker at work now, since tomorrow I move to a new desk just outside my boss's office. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] However, since I arranged for my monitor to face a wall, I think I may just look into that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Excel programming does look a lot less suspicious than this forum anyway.

PokerRoom doesn't offer complete tourny histories (those <explitive deleted&gt. I'll PM you my email - if you send me one I'll see what I can do.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:23 AM

Wow, that is really cool.

If my spreadsheet was penultimate, yours definitely moves things a lot closer to ultimate. I sent this off to eastbay so hopefully he'll be kind enough to get this up for others to look at. Amazing really, from what I've seen so far. Adds a whole new dimension to the functionality of this thing.

Simply put, however good, however useful this spreadsheet was before, it is now WAY better.

Regards
Brad S
Old 12-09-2004, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if I change the # of people to make the SNG 6-handed (I play on UB), is the ITM calulation based on the color of the "place" column (pink or green)? If so, how can I change the colors to represent 2 ITM places and not 3?

Basically, how can I make the best use of the spreadsheet for 6-handed SNGs that pay only 2 places?

Also, how do I use the bubble %+/- figure? What's a good %??

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't come up with the colour coding function, and I suspect it doesn't actually function off ITM but rather on top 3. This will mean that it might come out incorrectly for you. What you could do is just format each cell where you get 3rd and change the colour manually. Or you could just format all the cells once so that there is no colour coding at all. Then again, we could just figure out how it actually works and change it to accomodate all SNG payout structures. Jurollo made that change with his excellent update when he introduced the splits functions, so he will definitely be able to help us out.

As far as using the sheet effectively for 6 player SNGs, it should work pretty well as is, except for a few issues where stats are accumulated for top 3. The splits info will be accurate, but who cares how often you get top 3 on tuesdays right? that can be changed to top 2 also, but will require some work to fix. Still, all that said, ITM values, ROI, SD, and all the rest will work fine.

Bubble % was a stats I came up with a long time ago, and at the time, I figured that a good player would obviously survive on the bubble far more than average. I figured that you would want a positive value, and the higher the better. I figured that 10% would be about the upper bound for a really good player.

Well, I have since changed my mind somewhat. Really strong high stakes players often cite stats which would indicate a negative bubble %. This indicates more agressive gambling play and usually means more firsts also, and sometimes, a higher ROI. So the answer is, you want a high bubble %, but more than this, you want a high ROI.

Regards
Brad S