Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2004, 04:05 PM

Default Re: the soft bigotry of low expectations

Kurn that sounded like something I'd write at 3:30AM the night before a paper was due in my Soc. class.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:35 PM

Kurn that sounded like something I'd write at 3:30AM the night before a paper was due in my Soc. class

Good to hear that nothing has changed since I was in college. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2004, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AA programs are not there so that those who are not capable are given jobs. It exists because those who are capable are not given equal opportunity to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

For instance take school admissions, are you stating that people who are academically qualified would not be admitted unless there was affirmative action? I think it's probably the other way around, people who are academically qualified are not being admitted when they should be because preference is given to those with less qualifications due to race and/or gender. This is what he's talking about when he refers to low expectations.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:26 AM

Default You Could Benefit From Affirmitive Action

but I expect a lot more out of you so you'll have to work much harder at being a good citizen and curbing your homophobia and thus you'll get no special treatment from me.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good to hear that nothing has changed since I was in college

[/ QUOTE ]

College papers today are written computers and printers, not ink wells and fountain pens like back when you were in college.

Stu
Old 09-06-2004, 05:32 AM

If an NFL owner prefers a retread white coach to an otherwise capable black coach that by all indications is eminently more qualified, wouldn't that NFL owner be shooting himself in the foot more or less? But that's outright bigotry. Affirmative action gives preference based on such things as race or gender to those who are otherwise less qualified and/or have acheived less than someone else that is white and/or male.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AA programs are not there so that those who are not capable are given jobs. It exists because those who are capable are not given equal opportunity to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way it's structured it doesn't have that effect. What do they say about roads, hells, and good intentions?

I don't have an answer to the general problem of racism. It's like telling a retard to "be smart." It won't do anything but offend and alienate the tard in question. Maybe when people start being more logical, something that I don't see happening in the near future, they'll stop being racist.

Or at least they'll be like me. I'm an equal opportunity racist who hates things about my own as much as I hate anything about anyone else's. Since such a large majority of people are ignorant buffoons, it's a safe bet to assume that the "baseline" member of any race is also a donkey.

~D
Old 09-06-2004, 08:58 AM

College papers today are written computers and printers, not ink wells and fountain pens like back when you were in college.

You are correct of course. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I was referring to *when* they got written not changing.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:58 PM

Here's my take....

In this modern, worldwide economy, companies that stick to the "old boys network" in hiring are at a distinct disadvantage over more efficient, lean, and progressive-thinking companies that hire the best people, regardless of race or gender. If you're serious about being a major player in business, you must hire the best and retain the best. In a world (and country) that caters to a huge diversity of ethnic backgrounds, it is vital to speak to your marketplace through people they can relate to...which means people of all colors and backgrounds. You need Spanish-speaking employees, for example, to serve a developing marketplace in the U.S. Those who have the skills - white, black, or otherwise, will win out in the long run. It's merely an indisputable fact of business. There exists businesses who discriminate in hiring (only want good looking women, or whatever) - but it will usually bite them in the ass over time. In my opinion, they are leaving money on the table.

Also - just to clear the air on Bush, etc. George W. Bush obtained an SAT score of 1206 (566 verbal, 640 math), which would be 1280 using today's scoring. John Kerry has NOT released his SAT scores (why?). For comparison's sake, Al Gore's SAT was 1355 (625 verbal, 730 math), which would be 1420 adjusted for today's scoring.

All those in the "Bush is a dumbass who shouldn't have gotten into Yale" camp, really need to compare their own SATs to Bush and then speak. 1206 is around 150 pts. below the Yale average for admission, but it's not like the guy is rockin' an 880 score.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:40 AM

In regards to college school admissions. Do you honestly believe that black dominated high school systems are equal to white suburban schools in terms of materials available, future preparations and overall atmosphere?

I do agree, however, that minority students are often accepted over academically qualified students at some of the more prestigous schools, but you must realize that it is a double-edged problem.