Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Is there a big difference in $33 vs. $22?

My theory on the differences in levels (to be taken with a grain of salt past $55, where I have no experience):

If you categorize all players as either really bad, bad, or decent and up, you will notice that they are pretty similar at all levels. The difference is the distribution of these players. A $5/$10 might have 5 really bad players, 4 bad players, and <hero>. At a higher level you might still see several bad or really bad players, and since they are just as bad, you assume those levels are just as easy to beat, but they aren't. What you don't notice is that instead of being the only decent player at most tables, there are 1 or 2 other decent players. This continues until you reach the highest levels where there are the most decent players per table, and the decent players are better than the decent players at low levels. (which isn't as important as the number of bad players, IMO... I'd rather play against 8 bad players + gigabet than 7 bad players and 2 run-of-the-mill 2+2'ers).

In the last month or so, I've played roughly 500 each $22 and $33 sng's, and I definately noticed more decent players in the $33's, although the bad players were still the vast majority and played just as badly as the players at the $22's.

I think I rambled there, but oh well.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:43 PM

"I think I rambled there, but oh well"

I think that's a pretty good explanation. BTW, saw you at the $22s a few days ago or so.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:45 PM

Ah yes I've been in the $22's this week. Trying to complete Raptor's challenge, but I'm only just hitting 300. Either going to not make it, or play 20 hours in the next 2 days. :P

Are you Mr. J or something similar there?
Old 03-17-2005, 11:05 PM

"Ah yes I've been in the $22's this week"

I'm gonna drop down there myself for a week a 2. Played 90 or so there over a few days and killed them. Felt good to know what winning was like again.

"or play 20 hours in the next 2 days"

I'd do that if it wasn't the weekend (it's friday arvo here).

"Are you Mr. J or something similar there?"

Nope. We actually got down to 3 handed. All I remember is that I had AA and tried to trap both of you, you both fell for it but he outdrew me or hit the flop and we finished 2nd and 3rd. Not gonna post my screename just yet since I've been whinging about outdraws in the PP chat and how my aces have been cracked X times in a row [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'll give you a holla? if I run into you though.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:08 AM

Ah, you both cracked my 69o that hand! Lucky SOBs!
Looks like we also played one other tourney together, where you finished 4th and I finished 2nd.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:16 AM

"where you finished 4th and I finished 2nd."

Grrr.

From what I remember I just got outflopped, trying to be cute by calling his PF raise???
Old 03-18-2005, 12:19 AM

The tourney where you came in 4th was a standard steal with A2 and run into AT and bust out kind of thing. The aces hand you got beat by K8 when he flopped a K and rivered an 8.