Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2002, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Poker Teacher

To TD..

I am sorry you seem to have a non receptive attitude re: learning and improving your game. If you are a consistant winning player you don't need help.

Many of the poker books that are available are excellent, Sklansy & Malmuth in particuliar. I have use them as reference sine David wrote his first many years ago.

I have found that game experience and in particuliar,"Situations" which it is difficult to address in 'books' makes hands on teaching valuable. It is often very difficult to apply a blanket answer to a 'situation' that comes up in a games constantly.

Also, there are many players that do not have the experience to deal with these 'situations' as does the experienced player/teacher. And yes, experience can produce 'inside information', that's your term...simply put, things others' don't know. Do you think for examplethat the new player of 3, 4 months that has read the good books (many contain poor, misleading if not confusing information)would stand a chance against the David Sklansky's or Mason Malmuths? Other than the small degree (short term) of luck that may come their way, long term, they could not possibly beat this caliber of player.

A few years ago my ex roomate who decided he wasn't going to quit playing but was a consistant looser decided that if he was going to play, he may as well win, took lessons from D. Sklansky and after a couple of months he went from a negitive earn to a positive earn. David's lessons made the difference in not only his loosing, but his life. He now makes his living from poker.

Attitude is paramount. You must WANT to win. You really must want to win and take it seriously, even if you are only a casual player, or continue loosing and simply call it a hobby. Many people do this as well.

Sincerely,

Brian