Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: AQ off in SB early in tournament w/two limpers

Push when the action comes back to you PF, you almost certaintly have the best hand and will be quite commited if you call.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It depends on your read. Push if you're ahead of his range. This is a spot where you have to know the player. I'm folding this usually since he's showing a lot of strength PF by calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding is terrible

really terrible. MP limped and called, they have cheese. The BB is a shortstack and could have any two.

Thanks again for your advice. Looks like folding to the preflop raise and call was the right move, as it was too early for me to have any sort of a read on MP1.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-28-2005, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It depends on your read. Push if you're ahead of his range. This is a spot where you have to know the player. I'm folding this usually since he's showing a lot of strength PF by calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks again for your advice. Looks like folding to the preflop raise and call was the right move, as it was too early for me to have any sort of a read on MP1.

[/ QUOTE ]

no
Old 04-28-2005, 04:50 AM

Well now I'm totally confused.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:55 AM

There's no point in playing AQo with that kind of action even in a 5+1.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are incorrect
However, I am tired
Good night to you, sir
Old 04-28-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are incorrect
However, I am tired
Good night to you, sir

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone clear this up?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:47 PM

I'm pretty confused at this point two. Personally, this early in a tournament that's still 10 handed, I'm just going to limp behind with AQo. I'll probably call a smallish raise from someone behind me, but I don't want to be creating a huge pot this early on with a hand like this. This is only level 2, right?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:09 PM

there was no reason to raise here with AQ, just complete the limp and see if you can trap someone if an Ace hits. By raising you gave the BB a reason to push as he is shortstacekd and looking for a double up.

People will push on you with ppairs, especially at lower levels. I've seen medium stacks push with 3's in the 20's in Level 1.

As bad of play as pushing 3's or 4's is you are actually a dog in these situations and there are too many maniacs early on that will push with this edge, although not a big edge with any pocket pair. I just see no reason to create a big pot asking for a coin flip in level 1.

Yes BB was an idiot for pushing with K7 but he really was hardly a dog to your AQ. Shows how vunerable your hand is.

AQ off is not that strong of hand 10 wide in Level 1. It doesn't become a good hand until you are down to 5 players past level 4.

There is no reason to even think you have the best hand here. I've seen people limp 99-qq even after several limps in from of them.

Here's a hand I folded last night:

6 players limp, BB raises all in.

UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP+1 calls. I have 99 and fold on the button with 4 people already all in front of me.

BB had 44, utg had 66 Mp1 had 77 and mp2 had 88. My 9's where actually good but I will fold to that much action every time with 9's.

Point is that all 5 of these hands are a slight favorite over AQ and were limped. So there is not reason to assume you have the best hand and by raising to 120 you have given the maniacs the proper bait to chase after. You can start raising these types of hands in later levels once the maniacs have blown themselves out.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:26 PM

In these situations I like to complete behind the two limpers, in low limit games you will tend to be paid off by weaker hands (tpgk) than you will by raising. Also by raising you put yourself out of position with a weak hand that will only hit the flop ~30% of the time. Basically I think you double up way more often by limping then raising here. Also it makes folding on a missed flop much easier since the pot is smaller, however you need the discipline to fold when you hit a hand and it seems like somebody is playing you like a chump.

Since you raised, I would either fold to the BB's push and the call or push all in. I dislike calling here, you are out of position and it puts way to much of your stack at risk in the early levels. If you do call I would suggest tryiing to check it to the river if you miss the flop (as you did). I dislike the idea of bluffing at this pot since the BB could easily have you beat and it will harm your table image, however at a 5 dollar game I do not know if the majority of players are not paying attention enough to get a "feel" for the players.

That is just my two cents.